WaterJet Boat

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007

      The Home Page photo shows  the 1/2 scale (approx 28 FT) replica of "The Experiment". The Experiment was a steamboat designed and built by James Rumsey in 1787. The design was unique in that it had a water tube boiler and propulsion was by a waterjet. The steam engine draws water through inlets in the keel on the up stroke and expels water and steam through a port in the stern on the down stroke. The result is a pulse of expelled water the moves the boat forward at 4 mph. Although not a pop-pop boat the pulsing is not unlike that of our little boats with a slightly more sophisticated steam engine. For Reference: The engine on this replica produces approximately 1 HP. The boat is approximately 28 feet long and weighs approximately 5000 pounds.

      If you would like to know more about The Experiment please let me know. I have a press release from the Rumseian Society of Shepherdstown, WV and several more photos.

      Pete

      PS: Welcome on board new members. Tell us your story by letting us know what your interests are and how one of us might be able to help you.