BIG pop-pop boat!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12 3:13 PM

      I've been invited to join the Rumseian Group on "The Experiment" at the Clermont Site Steamboat Meet on the Hudson River.

      The group is from Shepherdstown, WV. Their boat is a 2/3 scale replica of James Rumsey's boat from 1787. It is propelled by drawing water in from a bow tube and expelling water & steam from a stern tube. Sound familar? Check out their site. http://www.jamesrumsey.org/

      I've been acting as their liason with the town of Saugerties, NY (Launch site) and The Clermont Historic Site. If you live in the Northeast join us on August 18th & 19th to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the first"successful" steamboat.

      Pete

      PS: Questions drop me a line

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13 9:23 AM

        Hi Frank,

        Thanks for putting up the sketch of the EXPERIMENT. I replaced it with a photo of the replica. I thought it quite fitting.

        I learned just this morning that my ride on the "EXPERIMENT" will be its last cruise. It will be retired when the Rumseians return to Shepherdstown. It will most likely go on static display in the Shepherds town area

        A point of interest: The boat is approximately 30' long. The steam engine that drives the waterjet pump is rated a 1 HP.

        Pete