2161Re: Want to get something made?

    Mar 2, 2010
      Hi Pete,

      Mine was done pretty much the same way. Crappy pens with screws for adjusting line width were dipped into India ink to trace drawings onto onion skin paper.
      Blue prints were made by placing ink tracings over blue paper and and putting drawing boards with blue paper and tracings on a flat roofs and hoping that it wouldn't rain. Blue prints were blue then, and lines, inkblots and bird droppings on onion skin paper would show up as white lines and blobs on prints.

      > You messed up your sentence structure. It should have read "Was that sarcasm Pete"?
      >
      > My first drafting was done on a 24 x 30 inch drawing board. You used a "T" square for horizontal lines and a triangle for vertical lines. Circles were done with a wooden pencil compass. Pencils were not unlike the good old No. 2's. The vellum was fastened to the board with thumbtacks. You sharpened the pencil with a file that was thinned and hooked on the end. Can you guess what for? Yup, the hooked file was used to remove the thumb tacks.
      >
      > Pete
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
      > >
      > > That was sarcasm Pete.
      > >
      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <georgeyyy@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > How was it reading by candle light? LOL
      > > >
      > > > The story that goes with it is my visit to my elementary school from 50 yrs ago. A group of my classmates and I went back to our school while it was in session. We split up into groups of 4 and went around to each classroom for question and answer session, rotating every 15 minutes or so. In one of the classrooms I visited a little girl, in all seriousness, asked how it was studying by gas lights. We all got a chuckle. TRUE STORY!
      > > >
      > > > prb

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic