2118Re: simple phlat boat design

    Jan 29, 2010
      Hi Donald,

      I have "silently observed" that most software offered as "free" is about as free as the cheese that trips a mouse trap. Our Pete is Mr. Persistence Personified. He found a way to get our pop-pops group restored from archival stuff after it was deleted, so I knew he would find a way to turn a bunch of rar designs for paper ironclads into pdf files that might restore some of the pop-popularity that pop-pop boats had a long time ago when I was a kid and pop-pop boats could be found in some of the general merchandise stores that were located at intersections of unpaved country roads. Most of those stores didn't have electricity or wires for telephones, but they did sell peanut butter and crackers and some sold tin wind-up toys and pop-pop boats.

      > There's a common program called WinRAR that will compress and decompress
      > RAR format. This format was popular on newsgroups and some mailing
      > lists, originally because it didn't expand as much when encoded for
      > 7-bit transmission (which is both e-mail and newsgroups) as ZIP. I
      > wouldn't be very concerned about RAR format, but perhaps someone can
      > reupload the file in ZIP archive format, which is more universal.
      >
      > Pete wrote:
      > > The file is in an .rar format. A quick "Google" indicates that it is
      > > a compression file format similar to WINZip. WINZip will not open the
      > > .rar format. I tried. Google hits indicate that there are "free"
      > > software sites from which youu can download software to open the .rar
      > > files on either a PC or a Mac.
      > >
      > > "BUYER BEWARE"!
      > >
      > > Pete
      > >
      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com,
      > > "frankmcneilll"<frankmcneilll@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Hi Don& Marsha, Pete and All,
      > >>
      > >> I may have added plans for the card stock model shown as the home
      > >> page picture. It was designed by Magnus Mørk, a talented designer
      > >> who posted free models of several civil war era ships on the Google
      > >> discussion group, Papermodels II prior to his death last year. Look
      > >> in the files section for a file titled CSS ALBEMARLE.rar and
      > >> convert it to a pdf file if you can, because my macintosh is not
      > >> able to open stuffed Microsoft stuff.

      > and don't expect them to be perfect.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic