1354Re: pop-pop paddle wheel

    Mar 2 9:35 AM

      Hi Dick,

      Fulton had steering and other problems on his original boat. The 1807 version was somewhere between 133ft - 142ft long and had a beam of 13ft. It was steered by rudder & tiller. The boat was powered by a 20 hp vertical, rotary, condensing Boulton & Watt engine. The boiler was approximately 20ft long with an 8ft by 7ft cross-section. It was fabricated from copper plate. It is thought that Paul Revere provided the copper plate to the company that fabricated the boiler for Fulton.

      In the first season of service they found the boat to be very unstable and extremely difficult to steer. In addition the exposed paddlewheels became "targets" for the Captains of the sailing ships on the river.

      During the winter of 1807-08 Fulton enlarged the boat to approximately 150ft and an 18ft beam. He added a ship's wheel and pulleys for steering, shroud over the paddlewheels for protection and to minimize spraying the passengers. Addition sleeping berths, a galley, women's and men's lounges were also added. He called the 1808 version of his boat "The North River of Clermont". In history we know it as the CLERMONT.

      The North River was the early name the Hudson River and Clermont was the estate of Robert Livingston and the boat's home port.

      So much for the brief history lesson..

      Are you game to work on a paddlewheel scheme in anticipation of putting a Pop-Pop Clermont together? For a reference point a 16 inch boat would have paddlewheels of approximateely 1.6 inches in diameter. The easy math is that the North River was 150ft long with paddlewheels 15ft in diameter or a ratio of 10:1.

      Regards,

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy" <coracles18@...> wrote:

      > Hi Pete,
      >
      > We have an old (1947) side wheeler working around here called the
      > Waverly. The hull is very long and narrow. The wheels are on a
      > shaft with a horizontal steam engine in the middle. Talking to one
      > of the Harwich pilots, it is a nightmare. It accelerates very fast
      > and stops fast, but has no steerage way until moving quite quickly.
      > Turning circle is huge. All this makes docking difficuilt especially
      > in a tide or high wind. They have thought of fitting a bow thruster
      > or even a bow rudder, but there is a reluctance to mess about with a
      > ship this old. Will probably stay with a skipper with nerves of steel!
      >
      > http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/
      >
      > I do appreciate the lure of the difficuilt - why else am I messing
      > around with pop-pops instead of something more efficient,
      > conventional and off the shelf.
      >
      > Dick
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." georgeyyy@
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Dick...
      > >
      > > For the challenge of it all!
      > >
      > > This subject evolved out of my interest in Pop-Pops and Robert
      > Fulton's
      > > North River of CLERMONT. A couple of years ago I began developing a
      > > CLERMONT pop-pop. My original design was to create a copper and
      > brass
      > > pop-pop approximately 16 inches in length. I don't have any kind of
      > > woodworking or metal working shop so the design had to be relatively
      > > simple. My design is based on a CAD model that I already had on my
      > PC. I
      > > began madifying that design to accommodate my pop-pop version. The
      > hull
      > > design is completed to the point where I needed to come up with an
      > > engine. Conceptually I was goint to use the accepted inlet/outlet
      > > pop-pop engine. The sidewheeler paddles would be free wheeling.
      > >
      > > With the recent discussions of spinning pop-pop engines Frank
      > renewed
      > > some thoughts on the Fulton sidewheeler that I am designing.
      > Although
      > > it's presently on a back burner it's still my intent to build as a
      > > pop-pop. What the final configuration will be I'm not sure. I do
      > know
      > > that it will be a model based on the CLERMONT with some "poetic
      > > liberties" taken. It will be fabricated in copper and brass for
      > personal
      > > aesthetic appeal. I would like to use the finished boat as a display
      > > model.
      > >
      > > I created a digital model of a coiled tube engine and a barrel
      > design
      > > based on Dan Noyes's ideas. Personally I like the barrel design as
      > it
      > > lends to the original Fulton boat design. I see three options for
      > > propelling the boat:
      > >
      > > * the standard inlet/outlet pop-pop design * freewheeling
> [...]
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic