1352Re: pop-pop paddle wheel

  • Richard Mundy
    Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Pete,

      We have an old (1947) side wheeler working around here called the
      Waverly. The hull is very long and narrow. The wheels are on a
      shaft with a horizontal steam engine in the middle. Talking to one
      of the Harwich pilots, it is a nightmare. It accelerates very fast
      and stops fast, but has no steerage way until moving quite quickly.
      Turning circle is huge. All this makes docking difficuilt especially
      in a tide or high wind. They have thought of fitting a bow thruster
      or even a bow rudder, but there is a reluctance to mess about with a
      ship this old. Will probably stay with a skipper with nerves of steel!

      http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/

      I do appreciate the lure of the difficuilt - why else am I messing
      around with pop-pops instead of something more efficient,
      conventional and off the shelf.

      Dick

      > Hi Dick...
      >
      > For the challenge of it all!
      >
      > This subject evolved out of my interest in Pop-Pops and Robert
      Fulton's
      > North River of CLERMONT. A couple of years ago I began developing a
      > CLERMONT pop-pop. My original design was to create a copper and
      brass
      > pop-pop approximately 16 inches in length. I don't have any kind of
      > woodworking or metal working shop so the design had to be relatively
      > simple. My design is based on a CAD model that I already had on my
      PC. I
      > began madifying that design to accommodate my pop-pop version. The
      hull
      > design is completed to the point where I needed to come up with an
      > engine. Conceptually I was goint to use the accepted inlet/outlet
      > pop-pop engine. The sidewheeler paddles would be free wheeling.
      >
      > With the recent discussions of spinning pop-pop engines Frank
      renewed
      > some thoughts on the Fulton sidewheeler that I am designing.
      Although
      > it's presently on a back burner it's still my intent to build as a
      > pop-pop. What the final configuration will be I'm not sure. I do
      know
      > that it will be a model based on the CLERMONT with some "poetic
      > liberties" taken. It will be fabricated in copper and brass for
      personal
      > aesthetic appeal. I would like to use the finished boat as a display
      > model.
      >
      > I created a digital model of a coiled tube engine and a barrel
      design
      > based on Dan Noyes's ideas. Personally I like the barrel design as
      it
      > lends to the original Fulton boat design. I see three options for
      > propelling the boat:
      >
      > * the standard inlet/outlet pop-pop design * freewheeling
      > paddlewheels withe the pop-pop engine exhaust directed towards the
      > buckets on the paddlewheel. That might "forde" the paddles to turn
      and
      > move the boat forward * integrate pop-pop engine exhausts into
      the
      > paddlewheels. they would spin much in the same manner as the
      spinning
      > lawn sprinkler.
      >
      > I hope that this gives you some ideas as to develop a pop-pop
      engine for
      > use on a sidewheel steamboat. I'm looking to free up some more
      design
      > time in the Sept-Oct time frame. I'm commited to the work on the
      > animated Boulton and Watt steam engine used by Fulton. I'm working
      with
      > the 6 volunteers, the Clermont Historic Site and State of New York.
      The
      > volunteers are building the 1/12 scale model. NY State is building
      the
      > display case and the Clermont Site is providing the space. I'm kind
      of
      > the clerk of the works and doing a lot of the design work. working
      up to
      > 50 hours per week in combination with the volunteering just dosen't
      give
      > me the option of working on the Clermont pop-pop and to justice.
      Thus
      > the back burner status.
      >
      > RE: Your Thames sternwheeler;
      >
      > We have a sidewheeler here on the Hudson (North River) that is
      actually
      > propelled by the two paddlewheels. The paddlewheels are driven by
      > hydraulic motors. Each wheel can act independently of each other.
      They
      > can be used to help steer the boat. In fact, they fan have one wheel
      > going forward the other going in reverse. This configuration allows
      the
      > bost to turn 180° on the theoretical center of the paddle wheels'
      > axis.
      >
      > Note: I have created a new photo folder called Clermont Pop-Pop. It
      now
      > contains pix of some of my ideas. Feel free to add any photos
      directly
      > related to a Clermont pop-pop model. THANKS
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > Pete
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > <coracles18@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > why power the paddle wheel?
      > > There is a tourist boat operating on the Thames. This looks like a
      > > Missisippi river boat. It is powered by propeller, the stern wheel
      > just
      > > freewheels in the water quite realistically. When the boat stops,
      so
      > > does the wheel.
      > >
      > > Dick

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic