1351Re: pop-pop paddle wheel

    Mar 1, 2009

      Hi Dick...

      For the challenge of it all!

      This subject evolved out of my interest in Pop-Pops and Robert Fulton's North River of CLERMONT. A couple of years ago I began developing a CLERMONT pop-pop. My original design was to create a copper and brass pop-pop approximately 16 inches in length. I don't have any kind of a woodworking or metal working shop so the design had to be relatively simple. My design is based on a CAD model that I already had on my PC. I began madifying that design to accommodate my pop-pop version. The hull design is completed to the point where I needed to come up with an engine. Conceptually I was goint to use the accepted inlet/outlet pop-pop engine. The sidewheeler paddles would be free wheeling.

      With the recent discussions of spinning pop-pop engines Frank renewed some thoughts on the Fulton sidewheeler that I am designing. Although it's presently on a back burner it's still my intent to build as a pop-pop. What the final configuration will be I'm not sure. I do know that it will be a model based on the CLERMONT with some "poetic liberties" taken. It will be fabricated in copper and brass for personal aesthetic appeal. I would like to use the finished boat as a display model.

      I created a digital model of a coiled tube engine and a barrel design based on Dan Noyes's ideas. Personally I like the barrel design as it lends to the original Fulton boat design. I see three options for propelling the boat:

      • the standard inlet/outlet pop-pop design
      • freewheeling paddlewheels withe the pop-pop engine exhaust directed towards the buckets on the paddlewheel. That might "forde" the paddles to turn and move the boat forward
      • integrate pop-pop engine exhausts into the paddlewheels. they would spin much in the same manner as the spinning lawn sprinkler.

      I hope that this gives you some ideas as to develop a pop-pop engine for use on a sidewheel steamboat. I'm looking to free up some more design time in the Sept-Oct time frame. I'm commited to the work on the animated Boulton and Watt steam engine used by Fulton. I'm working with the 6 volunteers, the Clermont Historic Site and State of New York. The volunteers are building the 1/12 scale model. NY State is building the display case and the Clermont Site is providing the space. I'm kind of the clerk of the works and doing a lot of the design work. working up to 50 hours per week in combination with the volunteering just dosen't give me the option of working on the Clermont pop-pop and to justice. Thus the back burner status.

      RE: Your Thames sternwheeler;

      We have a sidewheeler here on the Hudson (North River) that is actually propelled by the two paddlewheels. The paddlewheels are driven by hydraulic motors. Each wheel can act independently of each other. They can be used to help steer the boat. In fact, they fan have one wheel going forward the other going in reverse. This configuration allows the bost to turn 180° on the theoretical center of the paddle wheels' axis.

      Note: I have created a new photo folder called Clermont Pop-Pop. It now contains pix of some of my ideas. Feel free to add any photos directly related to a Clermont pop-pop model. THANKS

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy" <coracles18@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > why power the paddle wheel?
      > There is a tourist boat operating on the Thames. This looks like a
      > Missisippi river boat. It is powered by propeller, the stern wheel just
      > freewheels in the water quite realistically. When the boat stops, so
      > does the wheel.
      > Dick

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic