1187Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Jan 9, 2009
      Hi Dick,

      Your "messybeast" link reminded me of the year (1965) that I was in
      Argentia, Nfld. I was a Navy Seabee stationed at the NAVFAC site. It
      was like stepping back 100 years in time. I can recall seeing farmers
      with their 2 wheeled milk carts being pulled down the gravel road in
      Placentia by Newfoundland dogs. The Newfies were like a coal black
      St. Bernard. I also remember Fish Mongers on the street corner in St
      Johns with their rubber boot and apron. Great memories!

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      <coracles18@...> wrote:

      > Hi Frank,
      > not seen anything like this in the UK, apparently its illegal -
      most
      > things are.
      >
      > http://www.messybeast.com/history/dogcarts.htm
      >
      > Nearest thing is Husky racing, this is on private land and
      > the 'sleds' have wheels in summer!
      >
      > Dick

      > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Go to http://www.dogscooter.com/about.htm for information about a
      > > better way to let dogs pull you around.
      > >
      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > > <coracles18@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Pete,
      > > > how often in life do we come across a new invention and think,
      > > > thought of that years ago, but never got round to doing
      anything
      > > > about it!
      > > > A couple of years ago I invented PTFE (slippery)boots for dogs
      > that
      > > > pull their owners around. I have no idea if it would work, but
      > you
      > > > saw it here first :)
      > > > I have been thinking about the Newcomen atmospheric engine.
      > Because
      > > > of inefficiency it was supersceeded by Watts engine.
      > > > The Newcomen has one big advantage, it is very low tech and if
      > you
      > > > power it with heat from the sun its inefficency is not that
      > relevant!
      > > >
      > > > Dick
      > > >

      > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
      <georgeyyy@>