1181Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Jan 5, 2009

      Dick,

      I look back at my youth when I first saw the Raytheon Radarange at a Science Show in New Hampshire. I saw a egg cooked on a paper plate. I believe that was in 1947. My grandfather took me to the show as a 4 or 5 year old. A few years later TV dinners hit the scene. They were in the aluminum trays and were rather basic meals. At that time I might have been 10 or 11 years old. My memory took me back the the Radarange and how it might been used with TV dinners. Although I hadn't thought of replacing the aluminum tray with a non metallic one my young mind had tied the microwave to the frozen meals. If I had been older or able to convince an adult of the potential I might have been one of those inovators.

      On the Rumsey steamboat. Ben Franklin on a voyage back to the Us from France came up with the jet boat idea, Franklin's sketches show a hand pump. Rumsey replaced the hand pump with a steam engine.

      http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/library/readings/gulf/gulf.html

      For you History buffs; the 16th President of the US had a patent on a boat design. It's not steam related yet interesting.

      http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/04/abraham-lincoln-inventor/

      Lincoln's idea never grew but Franklin's certainly did. We now have Buehler Turbocraft boats

      http://www.uncommonboats.com/website/article.asp?id=465

      and the jet skis. That's it...

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy" <coracles18@...> wrote:

      > I could also add how many promising inventions never got out of the
      > garden shed
      > (sorry to go on)
      > Dick
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > coracles18@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I can add to this, how much technology etc has been forgotten because
      > > it is no longer relevant.
      > > An example is the Ironbridge, Shropshire, England.
      > > It is known how the sections were cast, but it is speculation as to
      > how
      > > they actually assembled these to create the bridge. Similarly how
      > were
      > > the pyramids or stonehenge built?
      > > Dick

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic