1178Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

  • wdsmith
    Jan 4, 2009
      Hoo BOY!!!!
      You are treading dangerously close to one of my big cussbuttons!!
      " I wonder how many inventions are swept aside because they showed no immediate
      promise at the time and something better turned up."

      I am stunned so few realize (or realize and dismiss) that technology evolved via the technology of the day.
      So, realizing this, a few things should be obvious:

      1.  "Tried it long ago and it didn't work," is not necessarily a valid thought.
           One or two critical developments and technological evolution could have took a different direction.
      2.  Automatic dismissal based on 100 year old (anymore it may be closer to 100 days old) considerations is not a good idea.

      Of course all generalities are false, including this one.  It is probably OK to skip over the latest perpetual motion machine....
      bit, personally, I stil look close for any new ideas it may spark.  ;o)

      Richard Mundy wrote:

      Hi Pete,
      thanks for the link. Technology hurtles along so fast I wonder how
      many inventions are swept aside because they showed no immediate
      promise at the time and something better turned up. I am hugely
      interested in experimental archeology. Recreating something like the
      Rumsey boat is not only interesting but inspirational.
      Dick

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic