1176Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

  • Richard Mundy
    Jan 4, 2009
      Hi Donald,
      The thing that interests me about the pop pop is its simplicity and I
      can play around with them without a machine shop. I don't mind adding
      a valve or two tho.
      The Newcomen or atmospheric engine evolved into the Watt, and was
      never seen again as it was so innefficient.
      Interestingly now you point it out, there seems to be a similarity
      between the Newcomen and the pop pop - both rely on condensing steam
      to create a vacuum.
      Dick

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls
      <silent1@...> wrote:

      > Richard Mundy wrote:
      > > Hi Frank,
      > > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
      > > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was
      made
      > > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
      > > improve efficiency?
      > > Dick
      >
      > Presuming you're not just interested in (for instance) using steam
      > drive an axial-flow or centrifugal jet pump of the kind now common
      in
      > jet boats, one obvious series of improvements to the original
      Rumsley

      http://silent1.home.netcom.com

      > and don't expect them to be perfect.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic