1174Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Jan 3, 2009

      The Rumsey engine worked essentilly like an old well pump. The engine draws water in through a forward port and expells it and some steam through a transom port. Check out photos that I have posted in a Rumsey Folder. The boat moves in strokes as with oars. That motion is caused by the alternate opening and closing of the two flapper valves in the keel tube.

      Almost had a ride onthe Experiment in Aug of 07. I have become good frinds with the Rumseian Group. I worked with them in getting their boat from WV to the Clermont Historic Site in NY. The Saturday that I was in "uniform" the winds on the Hudson were 15-20 mph. The Experiment on a good day can do about 4.5 mph. We figured that we would end up somewhere around NYC if we ventured out into the river. I had made plans for Sunday so I couldn't steam the Hudson with the Rumseians. My wife and I did stop to say goodbye before heading to our other commitment. In the "crew" picture I'm the one out of uniform!

      A footnote on the Rumseians: You could ask for a nicer group of people. I stay in touch with Nick Blanton we have plans on seeing more of each other this year.

      Nick is a World class Hammer Dulcimer musician and builder. http://home.earthlink.net/~updf/nbi/

      Enjoy,

      > Richard Mundy wrote:
      > > Hi Frank,
      > > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
      > > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was made
      > > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
      > > improve efficiency?
      > > Dick
      >
      > Presuming you're not just interested in (for instance) using steam to
      > drive an axial-flow or centrifugal jet pump of the kind now common in
      > jet boats, one obvious series of improvements to the original Rumsley
      > design would be use of a valve operated, rather than quenched
      > atmospheric engine (i.e. upgrading from Newcomen to Watt type engine)
      > and automatic valve train, presumably with double acting cylinder(s) and
      > double acting pump(s); followed by use of multiple cylinders to increase
      > the rate and steadiness of flow through the propulsion duct along the
      > keel. Addition of a reversing gate (preferably attached to the rudder,
      > to retain efficient steering in reverse) or universally coupled nozzle
      > (for direct thrust vectoring through 360 degrees) would be strongly
      > suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final propulsion
      > efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a similarly
      > designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and still
      > have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very shallow
      > draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water line...

      > and don't expect them to be perfect.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic