1173Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

    Jan 3 2:19 PM
      Richard Mundy wrote:
      > Hi Frank,
      > this is very interesting. As this boat is a half scale replica, I
      > assume the only development work was to figure out how it was made
      > and how it worked. Has anyone experimented with this system to
      > improve efficiency?
      > Dick

      Presuming you're not just interested in (for instance) using steam to
      drive an axial-flow or centrifugal jet pump of the kind now common in
      jet boats, one obvious series of improvements to the original Rumsley
      design would be use of a valve operated, rather than quenched
      atmospheric engine (i.e. upgrading from Newcomen to Watt type engine)
      and automatic valve train, presumably with double acting cylinder(s) and
      double acting pump(s); followed by use of multiple cylinders to increase
      the rate and steadiness of flow through the propulsion duct along the
      keel. Addition of a reversing gate (preferably attached to the rudder,
      to retain efficient steering in reverse) or universally coupled nozzle
      (for direct thrust vectoring through 360 degrees) would be strongly
      suggested as well. It ought to be possible to manage a final propulsion
      efficiency not much below that of a paddle wheel mounted to a similarly
      designed boiler and engine with just these improvements -- and still
      have a boat with considerable novelty value, given the very shallow
      draft possible and lack of fragile moving parts below the water line...