1171Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

  • Richard Mundy
    Jan 3, 2009
      Hi Jean-Yves,
      This is a very interesting site. I have yet to digest all of it!
      The big pop pops are very impressive, but as you say the performance
      compared to the amound energy being used (blow torch) is pathetic. I
      have thought of using a two pipe system with one pipe facing forward
      with check valves but I guess someone has already tried that!
      Another thought, was the temperature rise of the water in the bath
      noted?
      Please ignore my ignorance,
      Dick

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"
      <boite.de.j-y@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dick,
      > The efficiency of the pop-pop engine is not only poor, it is
      > pathetic. And there are other reasons why powering a manned boat is
      > not reallistic. Look at the following site:
      > http://www.eclecticspace.net/index2.php?rub=poppop.
      > However, I'm working on a big engine (pipe inner diameter
      60mm)...but
      > it is for scientific aspect because low frequency allow to observe
      > more easily pressure, temperature, stroke...
      > Good luck!
      > Jean-Yves
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > <coracles18@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Frank,
      > > thanks for the reply and the link, I am well aware of the poor
      > > efficiency of the pop pop etc and the likelyhood of
      disapointment.
      > > never travel without a paddle and this does look like a
      > particularly
      > > interesting creek. It appeals appeals to my tinkering nature and
      > the
      > > cost in time & plumbing per engine is comparitively low.
      > > The group has opened my eyes to huge range of possibilities for
      > > experimentation,
      > > I will post any results for all to jeer at, at the moment I am
      > still
      > > exploring the fine print as to how the things actually work,
      there
      > > are a lot of factors I hadn't previously considered,
      > > Dick
      > >

      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill"
      > > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Dick,
      > > >
      > > > Welcome to the group.
      > > >
      > > > Go to <http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/#payne> for
      information
      > > > about the use of pop-pop engines in full-sized boats. For in-
      > between
      > > > sized boats, go to our Photos section to check out the albums,
      > dory
      > > > pop pop By: danoyes1, Large pop-pop boats By: jeanyves_renaud
      and
      > > putt
      > > > putts By: darylcanada73 which indicate the possibility for
      using
      > > large
      > > > or multiple coil type engines to propel a dory, skiff or canoe.
      > > Don't
      > > > go too far up that infamous creek without a paddle though!
      > > >
      > > > Best wishes, Frank
      > > >
      > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"

      > of
      > > large