1169Re: Pop-Pop Steamboats membership

  • Jean-Yves Renaud
    Jan 2, 2009
      Hi Dick,
      The efficiency of the pop-pop engine is not only poor, it is
      pathetic. And there are other reasons why powering a manned boat is
      not reallistic. Look at the following site:
      http://www.eclecticspace.net/index2.php?rub=poppop.
      However, I'm working on a big engine (pipe inner diameter 60mm)...but
      it is for scientific aspect because low frequency allow to observe
      more easily pressure, temperature, stroke...
      Good luck!
      Jean-Yves

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      <coracles18@...> wrote:

      > Hi Frank,
      > thanks for the reply and the link, I am well aware of the poor
      > efficiency of the pop pop etc and the likelyhood of disapointment.
      > never travel without a paddle and this does look like a
      particularly
      > interesting creek. It appeals appeals to my tinkering nature and
      the
      > cost in time & plumbing per engine is comparitively low.
      > The group has opened my eyes to huge range of possibilities for
      > experimentation,
      > I will post any results for all to jeer at, at the moment I am
      still
      > exploring the fine print as to how the things actually work, there
      > are a lot of factors I hadn't previously considered,
      > Dick

      > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Dick,
      > >
      > > Welcome to the group.
      > >
      > > Go to <http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/#payne> for information
      > > about the use of pop-pop engines in full-sized boats. For in-
      between
      > > sized boats, go to our Photos section to check out the albums,
      dory
      > > pop pop By: danoyes1, Large pop-pop boats By: jeanyves_renaud and
      > putt
      > > putts By: darylcanada73 which indicate the possibility for using
      > large
      > > or multiple coil type engines to propel a dory, skiff or canoe.
      > Don't
      > > go too far up that infamous creek without a paddle though!
      > >
      > > Best wishes, Frank
      > >
      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
      > > <coracles18@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > > Just joined this group, some years ago I made several engines
      of
      > > > varous types and mounted them in cut down cans (I had not the
      > > > patience to build the hulls) all worked, but the most fun was
      > large
      > > > and made of welded steel. This I powered by a gas blowlamp and
      > > > mounted in a square biscuit tin. Performace was very poor but
      it
      > > > galumphed around my bath in a very satisfying manner.
      > > >
      > > > I am totally amazed by some of the boats and engines in the
      group
      > and
      > > > am inspired to carry on experimenting. My ultimate objective
      > would be
      > > > to power a canoe but I guess might not be practical!
      > > >
      > > > I live in Essex in the UK.
      > > > Dick
      > > >

      > > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
      <georgeyyy@>