1146Re: Methyl hydrate wick burners to make steam.

  • darylcanada73
    Aug 25, 2008
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald Qualls
      <silent1@...> wrote:
      > darylcanada73 wrote:
      > > I have been making and using these burners for my putt putts,
      > > custom designed to fit a particular boat and motor. They are easy
      > > build and work well. An engine I just built required lots of heat
      in a
      > > rather long and narrow shape so I built a burner using two 1"
      flat lamp
      > > wicks side by side. Looked good and burned OK but it did not
      > > the heat I required. Replaced it with a burner I had at hand
      > > three 1/4" round wicks made in my usual way with cotton string in
      > > tubing. I was surprised to find that the three round wicks made
      > > heat than the 2 inches of flat wick. Fuel consumption was high
      with the
      > > flat wicks.
      > >
      > > Can any of you steam guys explain this?
      > >

      > I expect the difference is related to how air mixes with the
      > fuel in the flame. The flat wick will have a long area in which
      the air
      > mixes in two-dimensionally, while a small round wick always mixes
      > three-dimensionally; that means the larger wick burns with a taller
      > flame (better for illumination, which is what flat wicks were made
      > and, in a tight installation, may have been quenching the flame
      > the metal of the boiler. The extra fuel consumption was probably
      > burning off after the vapors had left the active area of the boiler
      > simply being lost unburned (the latter you should smell as a much
      > greater alcohol odor compared to the three wick burner).
      > Generally, if the flame contacts the boiler surface with anything
      > the extreme tip (the part of a candle flame that's starting to get
      > as it rises, though this is much harder to see with the faint flame
      > alcohol), it's going to burn inefficiently and have both a lower
      > transfer temperature and reduced total heat transfer.
      > --
      > If, through hard work and perseverance, you finally get what you
      > Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
      > and don't expect them to be perfect.
      Hello Donald,

      Thanks for the reply. I think that you have the right answer. The
      problem was coincident to running boats in a (temporary)speed testing
      pond I recently built in the carport. Outdoors, clipping along in the
      breeze was cooling some boilers so I was using various forms of
      cowling. In this case seems likely the cowling was too close and
      blocked air flow and just made the problem worse. Along the way I
      forgot that quality of flame is more important than quantity.

      I appreciate the help. Daryl.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic