Broxbourne Lido demolition

  • Oliver Merrington
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2010
      Stephen P.-H. kindly contacted me about some photos he took of the
      demolition of Broxbourne Lido (an indoor pool) in November last year. He
      says it may become a hotel site for the Olympics....

      Broxbourne Lido - built 1978, had a £4.5m major refurbishment in 1998 - £12m
      white elephant.
      (renamed Lee Valley Leisure Pool or Broxbourne Leisure Pool)
      Owner: Lee Valley Regional Park Authority
      Facilities: Large free form leisure pool with wave machine, teaching pool,
      children's soft play area, gym - was run by Leisure Connection
      Site: 11 hectares, includes lido car park, green areas to the east of the
      railway line, chalets, the Old Mill and parking areas to the west of the
      railway line.
      Location: Nazeing New Road, Broxbourne, Essex EN10 6QS
      See: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/lidos/message/711

      http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/EN/default.aspx?n1=3&n2=72&n3=74 says:
      Broxbourne Leisure Pool has been closed to the public since 28 September
      2008.
      "Our building contractors, SQUIBB, will commence demolition work on the site
      on the 21 September 2009.
      We aim to ensure that the future development of the site continues to
      reflect the sporting and open space objectives of Lee Valley Regional Park.
      The demolition should be completed by December 2009."

      The decision in 2008 to close for good was made by Lee Valley Regional Park
      Authority which deemed the facility too expensive to run to modern
      standards. Vivien Blacker, deputy chief executive of LVRPA, said: "We're
      simply unable to justify the level of expenditure of public money that would
      be needed to bring the pool up to modern standards."

      For Development Brief - a partnership between Broxbourne Council, The Lee
      Valley Regional Park Authority and British Waterways - see
      http://www.broxbourne.gov.uk/business_in_broxbourne/development_opportunities/broxbourne_leisure_pool.aspx
      and http://www.broxbourne.gov.uk/PDF/pp2_adopted_version.pdf

      Oliver
      www.lidos.org.uk