1966 Hydra-matic

  • jerry_eakins
    Message 1 of 19 , May 9, 2017

      Does anyone know of a good '55 transmission for sale?

    • Tucker
      Message 2 of 19 , May 9, 2017
      I have a engine and transmission for sale.  I honestly don't know much about it other than the car seemed to run and drive good before it was removed last fall.  I bought the car and only put about 20 miles on it before it was removed.  Picture of the engine/transmission and car it came from is attached.

      On Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 9:49:03 AM CDT, jerry_eakins@... [pontiac-1950s] <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Does anyone know of a good '55 transmission for sale?

    • Jerry Eakins
      Message 3 of 19 , May 9, 2017
      Thanks for the message. Where are you located and what's the price. Is that your Safari? I have a Starchief Coupe. The transmission is giving me fits and I can't find anyone to work on it here. Jerry

      [Attachment(s) from Tucker included below]

      Message 4 of 19 , May 9, 2017
        That is a very nice Starchief!  I am in Sioux Falls South Dakota.  I also have front end parts, rear end and some other misc. pieces.  I was asking $1,000 for the engine and transmission as it sits.  Not sure what I would ask for just the transmission or if I'd even want to sell it separated.  Barry

        Yes, that is my Safari.  It is completely dismantled and stripped at this point.  I'm going to be putting a 6.0 out of a 2009 G8 back into it.  It was modified when I bought it and we found it to be heavily rusted.

        On Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 3:36:56 PM CDT, Jerry Eakins jerry_eakins@... [pontiac-1950s] <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Jerry Eakins included below]

        Thanks for the message. Where are you located and what's the price. Is that your Safari? I have a Starchief Coupe. The transmission is giving me fits and I can't find anyone to work on it here. Jerry

        On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:05 PM, "Tucker tucker_sf@... [pontiac-1950s]" <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Tucker included below]
        I have a engine and transmission for sale.  I honestly don't know much about it other than the car seemed to run and drive good before it was removed last fall.  I bought the car and only put about 20 miles on it before it was removed.  Picture of the engine/transmission and car it came from is attached.

        On Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 9:49:03 AM CDT, jerry_eakins@... [pontiac-1950s] <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Does anyone know of a good '55 transmission for sale?

      • spnygren
        Message 5 of 19 , May 10, 2017

          I have a Hydramatic that pulled from a 57 GMC.   I'm located just outside of Memphis.

        • Bill
          Message 6 of 19 , May 10, 2017
            He'd have to move a few parts from his "slant pan" 1955 in order to get  the "CA" Hydra-Matic to fit into the Pontiac frame.

            I have a Hydramatic that pulled from a 57 GMC.   I'm located just outside of Memphis.

          • Tim Hecklinski
            Message 7 of 19 , May 10, 2017
              I have a '58 if anyone is interested. Also, I can ship if you have a Fastenal in your area.

              Message 8 of 19 , May 10, 2017
                i have a 55 pontiac slant pan dual range hydra-matic, i'm in the branson missouri area, where are you located ?

                charles l. coker
                53 pontiac technical advisor
              • jerry_eakins
                Message 9 of 19 , May 13, 2017
                  I've got to think this over. I know you told me the transmission was working when removed from the Safari but that was 20 years ago so I'm not sure what would have to be done to it to make it roadworthy. New seals, new gaskets? Also I'm not willing to drive to Missouri. Not being grouchy just not sure what to do. Would you ship?

                  The mechanic who was working on the unit I have now said he was unable to get the parts he needed to fix it and recommended another shop but also recommended switching out to an R700 GM with overdrive. I like this idea but not sure what it would take to do this and eventually the cost.

                  Anyway, I'm going to be gone for about three weeks and will think about what to do. Anyone out there who has any ideas-I'd be grateful. Thanks

                • Todd Crews
                  Message 10 of 19 , May 13, 2017
                    Any parts for this transmission are available from www.autotran.us at reasonable prices.

                    Todd Crews
                    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor
                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On May 13, 2017, at 6:43 PM, jerry_eakins@... [pontiac-1950s] <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I've got to think this over. I know you told me the transmission was working when removed from the Safari but that was 20 years ago so I'm not sure what would have to be done to it to make it roadworthy. New seals, new gaskets? Also I'm not willing to drive to Missouri. Not being grouchy just not sure what to do. Would you ship?

                    The mechanic who was working on the unit I have now said he was unable to get the parts he needed to fix it and recommended another shop but also recommended switching out to an R700 GM with overdrive. I like this idea but not sure what it would take to do this and eventually the cost.

                    Anyway, I'm going to be gone for about three weeks and will think about what to do. Anyone out there who has any ideas-I'd be grateful. Thanks

                  • Larry Gorden

                      Message 12 of 19 , May 13, 2017
                        Try Fatsco or Northwest Transmission Parts for early HM parts.

                        I've got to think this over. I know you told me the transmission was working when removed from the Safari but that was 20 years ago so I'm not sure what would have to be done to it to make it roadworthy. New seals, new gaskets? Also I'm not willing to drive to Missouri. Not being grouchy just not sure what to do. Would you ship?

                        The mechanic who was working on the unit I have now said he was unable to get the parts he needed to fix it and recommended another shop but also recommended switching out to an R700 GM with overdrive. I like this idea but not sure what it would take to do this and eventually the cost.

                        Anyway, I'm going to be gone for about three weeks and will think about what to do. Anyone out there who has any ideas-I'd be grateful. Thanks

                      • Richard Gabrielson
                        Message 13 of 19 , May 13, 2017
                          Summit offers the adapter plates to put a 700R transmission behind a Pontiac engine.
                          What they don't include is what flywheel and starter would you use on our early 287 -389 engines that had the hydraMatic.
                          Rich Gabrielson

                            Message 15 of 19 , May 13, 2017

                              Wilcap offers complete kits to adapt to either a BOP trans or a Chevy trans.  The kit includes

                              a MOPAR gear reduction starter that mounts on either side of the engine...

                              http://www.wilcap.com/pontiac.html

                              www.wilcap.com
                              Wilcap Co. Pontiac V8 Engine to Transmission Adapters. 389-350 61-63 389-421 c.i. V8 to Chevrolet or BOP Transmissions
                              Rick

                              Sr Techie

                              Message 16 of 19 , May 14, 2017
                                The wilcap adapter set up would allow the later transmissions to be used but like my 55 with powersteering it looks like the 3 point engine mounting set up would have to be changed and with that big steering box I'm not sure it could be done.
                                I'm running a 3:08 ratio behind my original Hydro and the largest tires I could squeeze under the rear fenders and it  averages 15-17 mpg out of the 389 on trips.
                                An overdrive would be nice to slow the engine down even more than the 3:08's do.
                                Has anyone done such a swap?
                                Rich Gabrielson

[...]

                                  • charlessdv8
                                    Message 19 of 19 , May 24, 2017
                                      where are you located ?, any idea what you would take for the 287 and slant pan dual range hydra-matic ?