33847Re: pontiac-1950s - Re: 1966 Hydra-matic

  • Jerry Eakins
    May 14, 2017
      Thanks for all the ideas. I looked at the write-up on the '60 conversion on Wilcap's site. Depending on the  cost of the tranny this might be the way to go. I really don't need a beefed up transmission. I noticed the was nothing on the driveshaft length so I'm wondering if it will need to be changed. Also don't know if the Pontiac yoke will fit the transmission. Does anyone know if the Eckler's shift indicator lens will fit the Pontiac bezel?

      On Sunday, May 14, 2017 12:09 PM, "Richard Gabrielson pammiesuesguy@... [pontiac-1950s]" <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      The wilcap adapter set up would allow the later transmissions to be used but like my 55 with powersteering it looks like the 3 point engine mounting set up would have to be changed and with that big steering box I'm not sure it could be done.
      I'm running a 3:08 ratio behind my original Hydro and the largest tires I could squeeze under the rear fenders and it  averages 15-17 mpg out of the 389 on trips.
      An overdrive would be nice to slow the engine down even more than the 3:08's do.
      Has anyone done such a swap?
      Rich Gabrielson

      On Saturday, May 13, 2017 9:34 PM, "Email Admin rickgonser@... [pontiac-1950s]" <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Wilcap offers complete kits to adapt to either a BOP trans or a Chevy trans.  The kit includes
      a MOPAR gear reduction starter that mounts on either side of the engine...

      www.wilcap.com
      Wilcap Co. Pontiac V8 Engine to Transmission Adapters. 389-350 61-63 389-421 c.i. V8 to Chevrolet or BOP Transmissions
      Rick
      Sr Techie