  • Janet Kira Lessin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2009

      I find it highly offensive when prejudice rears its ugly head. Age prejudice is just as harmful as race, gender, orientation, religion, color, cultural or any other kind of prejudice. I wish Hollywood would get off it's limited world view of what's attractive and start acknowledging the beauty of different peoples, even beauty that's found in different body styles and sizes. Oprah's gorgeous at her weight. She's awesome! Perfect just as she is. Marilyn was voluptuous. Jane Mansfield too. Skinny's ok, but so limited. Bodies come in many sizes, colors and shapes. Variety is the spice of life.

      Someday we'll look back at these times and see how absurd our thinking is much like we look back at the fifties and see how ridiculous it was when biracial marriages were illegal. We could speed up that process by getting off it right here and now and evolve to the next highest level of respect, dignity and grace for all by honoring individual beauty and its perfection just as it is.

      What about polyamorous and tantric people of all ages? Old and middle aged polys are sexy, fun and perhaps even more interesting in some ways than younger polys as they have life experience and maturity.

      Most young people don't tend to get into polyamory until they go through a monogamous phase. Young people tend to date around. But that's not really polyamory. That's just the early experimentation phase that a lot of people go through.

      Polyamory and tanta are conscious choices that involve being open, honest, mature and able to handle emotional depth and intimacy enhanced with extensive communication skills.

      Poly participants continuously have to develop and perfect their communication skills over time due to the intensity and level of complexity dealing with more than two personalities and their needs, values, ideas and attitudes regarding relationships. Also a lot of polyamorous people don't seem to have the age hangups that others have and find people of all ages to be exciting, fun and sexy. They date across generations and when they come together as a family, they call it a Line Family.

      Anyway, we'll spread the word. But I do invite you and your producers and viewers to start ending age prejudice, which is just as harmful and hurtful as race and gender prejudice.

      Janet Kira Lessin
      President, World Polyamory Association
      janetlessin@..., worldpolyamory@... www.worldpolyamoryassociation.com

      Here's the letter that prompted me to write the above article:

      mtvpolyamory@... writes:

      Hi there,
      I work for MTV News & Documentaries in Los Angeles, and I'm currently researching a new round of episodes for MTV's long-running series, True Life. The series, if you're unfamiliar, employs first-person narrative storytelling to provide a window into the lives of young Americans. To date, the series has explored topics as complex as living with a disorder such as autism or obsessive-compulsive disorder; living in extreme poverty; single parenting; and being deployed to and returning from military service in Iraq.

      On the lighter side, True Life also explores all aspects of human relationships--friendships, families, and of course, romance. We're currently exploring the idea of a True Life episode featuring young people who are involved in polyamorous relationships (in which all parties know about each other). We are interested in hearing from people with all kinds of stories, from happy threesomes, polyamorous couples in a tug-of-war with a third party, married couples in open relationships, singles whose ex-es have resurfaced, causing friction in current relationships, swinging couples, and everything in-between. Can you help us put out our call for stories?

      We're specifically looking for stories that are unfolding in the present, in which the love triangle plays a role in a process, upcoming decision, change or transition on the horizon for one or more of the people involved.

      We would like to get the word out to people in our age range (18-28, roughly) who might be interested in possibly sharing their story and ultimately participating in a documentary project that would follow as they navigate whatever conflict, tension, obstacle, or decision they are facing because of or related to their poly relationship.
      Let me know and thanks for any assistance you can provideĀ… if there is anyone else you think I should contact about this project, or if you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with me at (949) 533-9918 or by email at mtvpolyamory@....