Re: [political-research] Re object - property - value / By the By (Lightweight Semantic Markup)

  • Sean McBride
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23 10:34 AM
      Thanks for the observations -- you get what the key issues are with lightweight semantic markup.  The main issue is, how do normal, average, everyday human beings subjectively process standard ASCII characters, especially punctuation marks and special characters, in artificial languages for representing conceptual content?  What conventions for defining semantic structures and relations are easiest to read, write and understand for most people, not just for programmers and geeks?  Which semantic markup system provides the most power for the least effort?

      With regard to your question, this is a propositional statement about the world, made by one person, me:

           .{neoconservative; instance; Richard Perle /triple}

      If we add the meta tag (in brackets) to the note, it looks like this:

           .{neoconservative; instance; Richard Perle /triple [-a Sean McBride -e smcbride2@... -d 2007.02.23]}

      where:

      meta information about notes is enclosed in brackets ([]) at the end of notes, and

      -a in meta tags = author
      -d in meta tags = date
      -e in meta tags = email address
      -h in meta tags = home page
      -n in meta tags = note
      -o in meta tags = organization

      With regard to vectors, which use the greater than sign: they convey more general and less specific semantic information about relations among objects.  For instance:

           AEI (American Enterprise Institute) > Richard Perle /vector
           Richard Perle > AEI (American Enterprise Institute) /vector

      states that there exists a relation of some kind between the AEI and Richard Perle.  The "/triple" tag defines precisely the conceptual nature of the relationship:

           AEI (American Enterprise Institute); member; Richard Perle /triple
           Richard Perle; member of; AEI (American Enterprise Institute) /triple

      Remember, "/triple" is shorthand for "/object; property; value".

      Notes are one-line statements about the world consisting of one or more slots.  Slot values appear at the head of the note; slot names appear at the tail of the note, in the note main tag, which begins with a space and a slash.  Slot values and slot names are separated by semicolons, in parallel.

      Another example:

           Vincent van Gogh; Flowers in Blue Vase; 1887 /painter; painting; date

      slot name: painter, slot value: Vincent van Gogh
      slot name: painting, slot value: Flowers in Blue Vase
      slot name; date; slot value: 1987

      We put a wrapper around the note when exporting it to the world at large, in any text file (including email messages and group posts):

           .{Vincent van Gogh; Flowers in Blue Vase; 1887 /painter; painting; date}

      The period and opening brace marks the beginning of a note to the world in general, and the closing brace marks the end of a note.  Within a notes editor, you can drop the wrappers.

      As for the Nace document, I tend to think this is the best representation overall:

      .{Ted Nace; Gangs of America; The Rise of Corporate Power and the
      Disabling of Democracy; 2003;
      http://www.gangsofamerica.com/gangsofamerica.pdf /author; title; subtitle; date; url}

      LeaNder <l.l.hahn@...> wrote:

      > What these items are about: an effort to devise the optimal
      lightweight markup conventions for representing plain text, standalone
      factual propositions about the world which are both human-readable and
      machine-readable, and which promote automated data mining and knowledge
      discovery across the entire Internet. We're looking to develop a
      standard that is more human-friendly than RDF and OWL.

      Ok, my "human-friendly" selections are probably pretty close to
      conventional citation patterns. But if you accept "human-friendly" as
      "reader-friendly" that's what I meant with "my-aesthetical- choice".
      Adding the categories in the end, is not such a bad idea. Maybe
      superfluous with Ted Nace's book but there will be more complex matters
      where it might be useful to see the metalevel /categories.

      > My question was this: which of the markup conventions below are
      easiest to read, write and understand for human beings?

      Hard to say. But I guess that most people would choose something along
      the reading patterns they are used to. Maybe that's why I have a
      problem with the slash separating the categories; it triggers a
      different set of associations, or in this case the document-; author:;
      title which seem evident. The choice between ">" and ";" is clearly
      based on conventional reading patterns. I got used to your "> notation"
      but the ";" feels more comfortable (...?) in this case.

      > For instance, if I wanted to state that Paris is the capital of
      France, this is one convention:

      > .{France; capital; Paris /triple}
      >
      > where the system tag "triple" refers to "object; property; value"
      data/semantic structures.

      > "France" is the object, "capital" is the property and "Paris" is the
      value.

      > Or:
      >
      > .{Richard Perle; category; neoconservative /triple}
      >
      > Or:
      >
      > .{neoconservative; instance; Richard Perle /triple}

      Is this a command, or simply as you suggest above a way to state
      something, to make a text searchable on the Semantic Web?

      > Automated parsers will be able to pluck out these factual nuggets
      from texts across the entire World Wide Web, and integrate them into a
      single knowledge base.

      > (This particular document you recommended is quite interesting, by
      the way, and definitely germane to this group.)

      "germane to this group?" The group of net-nuggests? Yes, Nace seems an
      interesting person. And it is nice he shares his study. My metasearch
      word was power.

      -b

      > LeaNder l.l.hahn@... wrote:
      > I am impressed that you can even link to a specific page in
      an online pdf.file. [26/27].

      > Admittedly chapter 15 caught my attention: Crime Wave. The roots of
      the scandals of 2002. Since I love both style and approach I decided to
      read the whole book. Interesting.

      > BUT I have no clue what you mean below, or do I? Just in case you are
      asking which of the links open the document on page 26/27?. All work
      equally fine. Four do not work at all. I'll mark them red below: They
      lead here.

      > Aesthetically I prefer the conventional list version e.g. the one
      below; makes it shorter; although admittedly I wonder if I would
      understand what you are doing if I wouldn't see the other versions.

      > > ^{Ted Nace; Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate Power and the
      Disabling of Democracy; 2003;
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf /document: author;
      title; date; url}

      > -b
      >
      > --- In political-research@ yahoogroups. com, Sean McBride smcbride2@
      wrote:

      > > Which of the following items are easiest to read and understand?
      Insights welcome.

      > > .{-document -author Ted Nace -title Gangs of America -subtitle The
      Rise of Corporate Power and the Disabling of Democracy -date 2003 -url
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf}

      > > .{-document /author Ted Nace /title Gangs of America /subtitle The
      Rise of Corporate Power and the Disabling of Democracy /date 2003 /url
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf}

      > > .{-document :author Ted Nace :title Gangs of America :subtitle The
      Rise of Corporate Power and the Disabling of Democracy :date 2003 :url
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf}

      > > .{document; Ted Nace; Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate Power
      and the Disabling of Democracy; 2003;
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf /format; author; title;
      date; url}

      -url http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf</nml>

      > > <nml>-document /author Ted Nace /title Gangs of America /subtitle
      The Rise of Corporate Power and the Disabling of Democracy /date 2003
      /url http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf</nml>

      > > <nml>-document :author Ted Nace :title Gangs of America :subtitle
      The Rise of Corporate Power and the Disabling of Democracy :date 2003
      :url http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf</nml>

      > > <nml>document; Ted Nace; Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate
      Power and the Disabling of Democracy; 2003;
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf /format; author; title;
      date; url</nml>

      > > <nml>Ted Nace > Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate Power and
      the Disabling of Democracy > 2003 >
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf</nml>

      > > <nml>Ted Nace; Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate Power and the
      Disabling of Democracy; 2003;
      http://www.gangsofa merica.com/ gangsofamerica. pdf /document: author;
      title; date; url</nml>

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23 11:12 AM
        > As for the Nace document, I tend to think this is the best
        representation overall:

        > .{Ted Nace; Gangs of America; The Rise of Corporate Power and the
        > Disabling of Democracy; 2003;
        > http://www.gangsofamerica.com/gangsofamerica.pdf /author; title;
        subtitle; date; url}

        So my uninformed choice would have been pretty close. Thanks for
        taking the time to explain.

        Sounds interesting.

        -b