Using Google Reader to Share News

  • Sean McBride
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
      Using Google Reader to Share News

      Again, my Google Reader shared items are available on the Web here:

      and as a feed here:

      Feel free to share your own Google Reader shared items links here in this group.

      Google Reader provides some significant advantages over Yahoo Groups for sharing news and information, although it is crying out for many new features.

    • LeaNder
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
        Nice tool. Thanks for giving us a chance to dive into your special subjects/fields of interests with a little help of Google in a new location. Something to test??? I have bookmarked your reader. And am pleased to see the percentage of articles on IT matters increase steadily ...

        Concerning the culture warriors:
        I was alerted to Bernard Lewis lectures in Israel. Partly this feels more and more like a reality creation machine, somekind of self fulfilling prophecy in the end? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_fulfilling_prophecy

        I don't think it will help to pray for Bush. But what can be done? And whatdrives the people that propagate this "mythical version of reality"[radical Islam is trying to conquer the world the way Hitler wanted to]. ...puzzling story. Maybe I have to start to read Lewis, although ... I guess I would prefer to start with Said's Orientalism.

        http://www.google.com/reader/shared/01640039269683291604
        The Greatest Threat to the US
        Christian Broadcasting Network, VA - 11 hours ago
        ... IDF Chief of Staff Moshe Ya�Alon spoke to the annual meeting of the�Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations� thisafternoon. ...

        �Sobering stuff.  And more reason to keep praying for President GeorgeBush to have the wisdom �from above� in these perilous times.�

        There is of cause no doubt that the position below is an important piece of thepuzzle in this ideological war:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Lewis

        "Contrary to the position that the backwardness of Muslim lands is a result of Western colonialism, Lewis argues that the decline of the Ottoman Empire and other Muslim countries was largely self-inflicted. Their failure tokeep up with the West stemmed from their cultural arrogance, which was abarrier to creative borrowing. Lewis analyzes the causes and consequences of the Muslim inflexibility in his work Muslim Discovery of Europe (1982).[1]"

        Interestingly the idea of creative borrowing ismuch around lately.

        The "Muslims" (Turks, Egypts, Afghanis ... Arabs, Persians ...) I met over here do hardly conform to any of the tags above: backward, arrogant, inflexible.

        -b

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
          I've basically been experimenting the last few weeks with Google Reader Shared Items as an alternative delivery method for sharing news, and at this point I would have to declare the experiment a success from my standpoint.  Overall it's a more efficient vehicle for sharing news than Yahoo Groups (although obviously it doesn't provide any features for discussing the shared news -- at least not so far).

          Trust me: you'll find news of much greater value here:

          than at Drudge Report. :)

          And one can track new items at this site using any feed reader, including Google Reader itself:

          Alternatively, one can track new items from any Google Reader Shared Items page by plugging the Atom feed for the page (listed directly above this paragraph) into RssFwd, here:

          This group is now back open for discussion about any relevant topics (including commentary on any items from the Google Reader page).

          What has been most on my mind for the last month are the glaringly obvious plans by the neocons and the Israel lobby to push the United States into a disastrous war against Iran, and the increasingly forceful pushback against the lobby by powerful factions within the American political establishment.  The United States, the Middle East and the world in general are heading towards a spectacular blowup over the destructive activities of the lobby.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
            Regarding Bernard Lewis's holy war against Islam -- this is what is going on:

            Nearly all the basic premises behind the Zionist experiment have collapsed among opinion elites all around the world during recent decades, once they were subjected to close inspection and ran aground on the rocks of reality.  Israelis and Israeli supporters understandably feel greatly threatened by the general trend of events, which is not running in their favor.  So Lewis, the neocons, Mossad and their allies cooked up the Global War on Terror and the Clash of Civilizations in a last-ditch effort to try to reorient the entire discussion about Israel and Zionism in their favor.  Some not very bright Americans have been taken in by the tawdry and deceitful propaganda campaign -- especially George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Christian fundamentalists.  When the truth about what has been going on comes fully to light, the neocons -- and Israel -- are going to find themselves in a much worse position than they were before 9/11.  At any rate, that's how I see the lines of play on the board.  Under no circumstances would I want to find myself on the side of Lewis, Pipes, Horowitz, Geller and company in this battle.  They staked out a losing position from the very beginning, primarily because they are obsessively driven by emotional forces that they themselves don't even begin to understand or even acknowledge.

            Messianic ethnic nationalism is a nonstarter in contemporary politics, a guaranteed losing proposition.  This is easy to figure out and anticipate, but messianic ethnic nationalists tend to be short on brains and basic common sense.

            By the way, applying some simple content analysis on the Internet will quickly reveal that the level of hate speech against Islam by pro-Israel militants greatly exceeds in quantity the level of hate speech by Muslims against Israel.  Lewis and his ideological comrades tend to project their own worst traits on the world around them, often in ways that are quite deranged.  Particularly see Pamela Oshry Geller (Atlas Shrugs) here:

            If you want to get inside the head of the Israel lobby, follow her blog -- she lets it all hang out.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
              > By the way, applying some simple content analysis on the Internet will quickly reveal that the level of hate speech against Islam by pro-Israel militants greatly exceeds in quantity the level of hate speech by Muslims against Israel. Lewis and his ideological comrades tend to project their own worst traits on the world around them, often in ways that are quite deranged. Particularly see Pamela Oshry Geller (Atlas Shrugs) here:
              >
              > http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/
              >
              > If you want to get inside the head of the Israel lobby, follow her blog -- she lets it all hang out.

              The worst US web radio show I have listened to lately, by far.  Seems I am not a member of her target group. No taste for unerotic nitwit super-women, believing themselves in the possession of the absolute truth about good and evil ...

              In her "chat" with Dore Gold she sounds completely unpremeditated, flat-footed, ad-lib. Besides amazingly self-confident, based on what? Can´t be  her intellect anyway.

              Type bored housewife? You introduced us to her before. Think she's important??? I don't think so; but the larger "objectivist camp" may well be? (influential and meant to be/providing ideological sound bites for the aspiring culture warriors.)

              Content analysis: Good idea. If done with good translation/text analysis tools and an inspired and thus inspiring research design, I would love to read it. Honesty in Reporting irritated me after a while, admittedly. We do need more universal approaches and study in this field. But who would fund these matters??? ....

              I hope you are aware that "the Muslim" are not quite taking over here in Europe yet,  just building the occasional mosque here and there. But the driving forces concerning WWIII/IV propaganda or the Culture War are pretty plain to see.  (Europe  - us cowards - and the Muslims is something Pamela is very concerned about in the above mentioned interview/her chatter, and yes others seem to be. In these matters I would love to find the ultimate source (Lewis? Pipes? Horowitz ...), the agenda setters so to speak.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Critics_of_Islam

              You seem to be hearing the same story over and over again, but were do these stories originate?? The Muslims are in the process of taking over Europe, it's close to a civil war. The Neocons only??? Yaron Brook is no neocon, and considers the conservatives as ultimately anti-business (supposedly), but on the culture war he agrees. Bomb them into surrender.  ...)

              Why has so much changed since SalmanRushdie's blasphemer dropped from an airplane, falling out of the skies and gliding down to earth perfectly alive?

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MANIFESTO:_Together_facing_the_new_totalitariani