REPORT: SEA FISH ONLY HAVE ANOTHER 50 YEARS

  • Sean McBride
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2006
      REPORT: SEA FISH ONLY HAVE ANOTHER 50 YEARS

      BBC - There will be virtually nothing left to fish from the seas by the middle of the century if current trends continue, according to a major scientific study. ocks have collapsed in nearly one-third of sea fisheries, and the rate of decline is accelerating. Writing in the journal Science, the international team of researchers says fishery decline is closely tied to a broader loss of marine biodiversity. But a greater use of protected areas could safeguard existing stocks. . . Steve Palumbi, from Stanford University in California, one of the other scientists on the project, added: "Unless we fundamentally change the way we manage all the ocean species together, as working ecosystems, then this century is the last century of wild seafood.". . . In 2003, 29% of open sea fisheries were in a state of...