Re: [political-graveyard] Gerald R Ford

  • Richard Jensen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14 12:10 PM
      it seems extreme to devote most of the Ford entry to silly assassination attempts that failed. Much more important was his role in 1976 and 1980 presidential elections, and his critical role as VP as Nixon's administration crumbled.
      Richard Jensen

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15 6:20 AM
        On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, kengib wrote:

        > Larry,
        >
        > Today is the birthday of President Gerald Ford.
        >
        > Might the comment in the PGY record: "also known as Leslie Lynch
        > King, Jr." be a bit misleading?? Might it be appropriate to say:
        > "born as Leslie Lynch King, Jr. and later assumed the name of his
        > mother's second husband" ??

        At this point, all "alternate names" including birth names, maiden names,
        sobriquets, etc. are all expressed in that same "also known as" list. To
        break them out in that kind of detail will require a lot of programming.
        I hope to get to that eventually.

        > Gerald Ford is also a member of the Shriners.

        Thank you for that!

        Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
        Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
        Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15 6:31 AM
          On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Richard Jensen wrote:

          > it seems extreme to devote most of the Ford entry to silly
          > assassination attempts that failed. Much more important was his role
          > in 1976 and 1980 presidential elections, and his critical role as VP
          > as Nixon's administration crumbled.

          Every President has considerable historical significance which could be
          discussed at greater length. In general, I have not done that -- e.g.,
          Abraham Lincoln's entry doesn't mention that he led the Union in the Civil
          War, emancipated slaves, gave the Gettysburg Address, etc. There are many
          web sites about presidents; few or none for most of the other people
          listed in TPG.

          On the other hand, now that there's an Assassination Attempts page, the
          goal is to document attempts in a straightforward way. The assassination
          attempts against Ford are described with what I thought was the minimum
          amount of detail needed to convey what happened -- circumstances (in both
          cases) more complicated than most.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15 4:08 PM
            Question.

            Charles Nagel of St. Louis, U.S. Secretary of Commerce and Labor, died
            June 6, 1940 according to most sources. However, a photo of his
            gravestone -- http://www.potifos.com/images/nagel.jpg -- shows a death
            date of January 5, 1940.

            Is the gravestone wrong, or are the biographical sources wrong?

          • hbremmer@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15 5:56 PM
              Larry,
              According to the website Texas Handbook Online he died January 5th.
              They cite these sources: "Historical Notes and Comments" MO Historical
              Review 34 (April 1940) F.C. Shoemaker, ed.; MISSOURI AND MISSOURIANS
              (Chicago: Lewis, 1943 and WHO WAS WHO IN AMERICA, Vol. 2.

              Helen Bremmer