Thurston Cemetery, Hopkinton, Rhode Island

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2013
      Political Graveyard Discussion Group:
        A tree which is rotten in the Thurston Cemetery, Hopkinton, Rhode Island;is to be removed. This cemetery is the burial place of R.I. Lieutenant Governor Jeremiah Thurston. Thurston was the first Postmaster of Hopkinton. His son
      Benjamin Babcock Thurston, also served as R.I. Lt. Governor and U.S. Representative from Western District of Rhode Island. The son served in the legislatures of both Connecticut and Rhode Island and is buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery in New London, Connecticut.
       I posted a video of this cemetery today on You Tube and took video today. It was my first You Tube posting. For my video go to www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdCcfDOTPCo .
       Check out The Westerly Sun http://www.thewesterlysun.com/ and The Chariho Times http://www.charihotimes.com/ for coverage of news on it. Also last night's Hopkinton Town Council meeting on the town web site http://www.hopkintonri.org/ and I think the first meeting in August? Myself and another town council member recused ourselves as we are board members of the Hopkinton Historical Association.
       This Benjamin Babcock Thurston would clearly be the Benjamin Thurston who set up the cemetery account which does not have enough funding for the tree removal. A business is reducing its normal fee to get the tree removed. This Benjamin if I am correct had a son Benjamin who was a patent lawyer in Providence, R.I., ?
      Member, Hopkinon Town Council
      Board Member and Past President, Hopkinton Historical Association
      Member, Hopkinton, R.I., Town Council
      Board Member and Past President, Hopkinton, R.I., Historical Association
      (401)377-4643/Cell: Quick Response Needed (401)450-6230