Cause of death

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
      The attachment is the cause of death section from a 1951 death
      certificate. I can decode some of the handwriting, but not all of it.

      Is there a way to express this cause of death in a few words?

      Or would it be better to just leave it out? Maybe I'm too fastidious,
      but I have avoided putting down "bowel obstruction" into someone's
      entry as a cause of death.

      Advice? Comments?

      Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
      Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
      P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106

    • fieldmarshaldj
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
        There's no attachment in the message. The settings on this board don't permit them.

        If "bowel obstruction" is the cause of death, it should be listed. Dying isn't sexy, and usually not always by the most dignified of causes. Still, should endeavor to be as factual about the cause of death as possible.

        Regards,
        --D.J. Jones

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
          On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM, fieldmarshaldj
          <fieldmarshaldj@...> wrote:

          > There's no attachment in the message. The settings on this board don't permit them.

          Oops, sorry. Here's a link to the file:
          http://politicalgraveyard.com/test/cause-of-death.jpg

          > If "bowel obstruction" is the cause of death, it should be listed. Dying isn't sexy, and
          > usually not always by the most dignified of causes. Still, should endeavor to be as
          > factual about the cause of death as possible.

          That's a good point. However, this specific case is not as simple as
          bowel obstruction.
          I'm hoping that someone else is better at decoding a doctor's
          handwriting than I am.

          Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
          Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
          P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
        • Judith Beckett
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
            It looks like anal fistula (not sure what the first word is), partial bowel obstruction, and possibly (the first diagnosis at the top of the certificate) generalized peritonitis. I was a nurse for 40 years but I don't know what that "V' word before rectal fistula is. A miserable and painful death, poor guy. Judith
            <fieldmarshaldj@...> wrote:

            > There's no attachment in the message. The settings on this board don't permit them.

            Oops, sorry. Here's a link to the file:
            http://politicalgraveyard.com/test/cause-of-death.jpg

            > If "bowel obstruction" is the cause of death, it should be listed. Dying isn't sexy, and
            > usually not always by the most dignified of causes. Still, should endeavor to be as
            > factual about the cause of death as possible.

            That's a good point. However, this specific case is not as simple as
            bowel obstruction.
            I'm hoping that someone else is better at decoding a doctor's
            handwriting than I am.

            Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
            Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
            P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106

          • Gene Phillips
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
              Word #2 & #3 are Rectal Fistula. Can't figure out the first word. Looks like it might be venio.

              As an aside, while I was searching google for medical terms, and ad for a local medical clinic popped up.
              Big Brother Google is watching.

              Gene

              At 11:02 AM 6/2/2013, Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:
              >On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM, fieldmarshaldj
              ><fieldmarshaldj@...> wrote:
              >
              >> There's no attachment in the message. The settings on this board don't permit them.
              >
              >Oops, sorry. Here's a link to the file:
              >http://politicalgraveyard.com/test/cause-of-death.jpg
              >
              >> If "bowel obstruction" is the cause of death, it should be listed. Dying isn't sexy, and
              >> usually not always by the most dignified of causes. Still, should endeavor to be as
              >> factual about the cause of death as possible.
              >
              >That's a good point. However, this specific case is not as simple as
              >bowel obstruction.
              >I'm hoping that someone else is better at decoding a doctor's
              >handwriting than I am.
              >
              > Larry
              >---
              >Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
              >Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
              >The Political Graveyard, http://politicalgraveyard.com
              >P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106

            • Judy Gafford
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
                I have began an Obit WIKI at my job at a local library. I enter the obits I find in my city and I always list the cause of death unless it is a suicide. Our database is from 1908 to present and I will have job security forever just entering them all. LOL I have several databases I use, plus all the printed and filed obits we have from all those years that I continue to add to as well. I try to be a sensitive as I can because I know that if people read them, they do not want gore. I also have several pages of medical terms for our Genealogy Collection. I will check and see what this means if it says. Have a blessed Day, Judy