Subsidizing Delegation Costs To Convention?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
      Hi!
       I will be an alternate delegate from Rhode Island to the 2012 Republican National Convention. Do you know of any party in any state, territory, or District of Columbia, that subsidizes any or all of their delegation expenses to either Republican or Democratic National Convention?  Just curious.
       I assume most if not all of you can not answer this. I know on the RI GOP side we are responsible for paying our own expenses. We get free transport to the convention from our delegation hotel and back. Rhode Island is sharing the same hotel as Virginia I am told on the RI GOP side.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
        Scott, congratulations! That is wonderful news.

        I don't have any recent information about delegate subsidies, but I do
        remember a college student who was a delegate to the 1976 Democratic
        National Convention. A fundraising party was held to help her with
        expenses.

        Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
        Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
        P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
          Larry,
           Thanks for your prompt reply. This issue precludes a lot of party members from even considering becoming a convention delegate on the national scene. It is a big expense just considering lodging, food, and transportation, let alone other costs. I do know both Democrats and Republicans get funding for their national conventions to run them. I assume government presence such as most if not all of the security costs is paid directly by the government and not charged to the parties. I realize host cities bid for these conventions, so considerations are made to get them.
           Thanks for your congratulations. While we are on "different sides of fence" politically, I appreciate your Political Graveyard  web site http://politicalgraveyard.com/  . I wish you are your county well! We are fortunate we do not have the bickering that other discussion groups!

          <scottbillhirst@...> wrote:
          > Hi!
          >  I will be an alternate delegate from Rhode Island to the 2012 Republican National Convention. Do you know of any party in any state, territory, or District of Columbia, that subsidizes any or all of their delegation expenses to either Republican or Democratic National Convention?  Just curious.
          >  I assume most if not all of you can not answer this. I know on the RI GOP side we are responsible for paying our own expenses. We get free transport to the convention from our delegation hotel and back. Rhode Island is sharing the same hotel as Virginia I am told on the RI GOP side.
          > Regards,
          > Scott
          >
          > Scott Bill Hirst
          > 20 Maple Court
          > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
          > (401)377-4643
          > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.
          > Alternate E-Mail: scottbillhirst@...

        • Stephen Smoot
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
            Some state parties do, but it really depends on their funding. I do not
            doubt that a well-funded party like Texas does. I think that my state does
            not. A few state parties are deep in debt too.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
              Are you closely related to Reed Smoot of Utah?