Different types of heart disease?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2011
      On Political Graveyard, I have a page of politicians who died of heart
      disease -- http://politicalgraveyard.com/death/heart.html

      However, it includes almost a thousand individuals, and is unlikely to
      be very useful to anyone.

      I suppose I could break up the list by geography or era, and I
      probably will, but it seems "heart disease" is an umbrella term over a
      whole lot of different conditions.

      Many obituaries are not at all specific, and usually refer to "heart
      attack" or "heart failure" or "heart disease". Technical medical
      nomenclature creates distinctions which are almost never explicated in
      non-medical sources.

      However, a significant number cite "congestive heart failure," or
      "dropsy." This is the unfortunately common situation where the heart
      is inefficient at pumping blood, so it becomes enlarged.

      Should I create a separate catagory for congestive heart failure, as
      opposed to all other types of heart problems?

      Or are there other categorical distinctions I could make among the
      vast array of politician heart disease deaths?

      Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
      Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
      P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106