Death of Former Rhode Island Governor Sundlun

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2011
       Bruce G. Sundlun has died. He was a former Governor of Rhode Island. Sundlun, a Democrat, was the only R.I. Governor defeated for renomination in a party primary. Party primaries came into existence in 1948 in Rhode Island,.
       Sundlun appears to be the most divorced and most married of Rhode Island Governors. It seems virtually certain,. It appears his biography on the National Governors Association web site www.nga.org  needs to be updated not only for his death date but it lists only two marriages.
       When members of his own party shied way from running against Governor Edward DiPrete, Sundlun stepped forward to run against him. I believe he ran against him three times, finally winning at the third effort, after DiPrete had problems. Sundlun prevailed against members of his own party who sensed DiPrete was vulnerable.
       Walter Sundlun, his father was the Republican nominee for United States Senate in 1954, losing to Theodore Francis Green, in Green's last U.S. Senate term,. While the father was a Freemason, the younger Sundlun does not appear to have been a member,.
       Check out The Providence Journal www.projo.com , Channel 10, www.turnto10.com , Channel 12 www.wpritv.com , and Channel 6, www.abc6.com ,. Governor Sundlun was involved in broadcasting with Channel 10 at one time,.

      Note: I am interested in R.I. History and Politics. I am currently a member of the Hopkinton, R.I., Town Council; and on multiple Republican committees. Last night I was elected Moderator of the Ashaway, R.I., Fire District, and a board member and past president of the Hopkint