Re: [political-graveyard] Re: Happy Birthday Gov. Rosellini (101 years old)

  • Alan Fox
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2011
      Dingell has now served /with/ (not under) eleven Presidents:
      Eisenhower
      Kennedy
      Johnson
      Nixon
      Ford
      Carter
      Reagan
      G H W Bush
      Clinton
      G W Bush
      Obama

      Hayden served with ten:
      Taft
      Wilson
      Harding
      Coolidge
      Hoover
      Roosevelt
      Truman
      Eisenhower
      Kennedy
      Johnson

      It would have been possible for a member of Congress to serve with
      eleven presidents in a period of just over thirty years in 1839-1871
      (Van Buren through Grant), but I doubt that any did.

      Scott Bill Hirst wrote:
      > Hi!
      > Thanks for that. Congressman Dingell has served in Congress (U.S. House), since Eisenhower. He must hold the record for serving under the most Presidents while serving in Congress. That record may also be held by Carl Hayden of Arizona. Hayden served in both houses of Congress.
      > Comments, please?
      > Regards,
      > Scott
      >
      > Scott Bill Hirst
      > 20 Maple Court
      > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
      > (401)377-4643
      > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

    • Alan Fox
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2011
        ...and actually, the answer is that the late Robert Byrd served with
        twelve presidents. Byrd entered the House on January 3, 1953, in the
        closing days of the Truman administration and subsequently served with
        the next eleven presidents through Obama.

      • fieldmarshaldj
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2011
          VT's Justin Smith Morrill served with 12 separate administrations from Franklin Pierce to McKinley from 1855-1898 (counting Cleveland as two). Speaker Joe Cannon also served with 12 administrations from 1873-1923 (from Grant to Harding, also counting Cleveland as two). Rep. Isaac R. Sherwood of OH, although he didn't serve consecutively, he was first elected during Grant's term in 1873 and elected to his final term in 1923-25 under Harding/Coolidge, so a spread of 13 administrations between his first and final term.

          Regards,
          --D.J. Jones
        • fieldmarshaldj
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2011
            As of today (March 18, 2011), former WA Governor Albert Rosellini became the oldest/longest-lived individual to have previously served as a Governor in the history of the United States, at 101 years and 56 days. He surpassed the old record held since 2000 by Jimmie Davis of LA who died at 101 years and 55 days. Congratulations to Gov. Rosellini on his feat of longevity !

            Regards,
            --D.J. Jones