Re: [political-graveyard] Re: Happy Birthday Gov. Rosellini (101 years old)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2011
       Thanks for that. Congressman Dingell has served in Congress (U.S. House), since Eisenhower. He must hold the record for serving under the most Presidents while serving in Congress. That record may also be held by Carl Hayden of Arizona. Hayden served in both houses of Congress.
       Comments, please?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2011
        Dingell has now served /with/ (not under) eleven Presidents:
        Eisenhower
        Kennedy
        Johnson
        Nixon
        Ford
        Carter
        Reagan
        G H W Bush
        Clinton
        G W Bush
        Obama

        Hayden served with ten:
        Taft
        Wilson
        Harding
        Coolidge
        Hoover
        Roosevelt
        Truman
        Eisenhower
        Kennedy
        Johnson

        It would have been possible for a member of Congress to serve with
        eleven presidents in a period of just over thirty years in 1839-1871
        (Van Buren through Grant), but I doubt that any did.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2011
          ...and actually, the answer is that the late Robert Byrd served with
          twelve presidents. Byrd entered the House on January 3, 1953, in the
          closing days of the Truman administration and subsequently served with
          the next eleven presidents through Obama.

        • fieldmarshaldj
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2011
            VT's Justin Smith Morrill served with 12 separate administrations from Franklin Pierce to McKinley from 1855-1898 (counting Cleveland as two). Speaker Joe Cannon also served with 12 administrations from 1873-1923 (from Grant to Harding, also counting Cleveland as two). Rep. Isaac R. Sherwood of OH, although he didn't serve consecutively, he was first elected during Grant's term in 1873 and elected to his final term in 1923-25 under Harding/Coolidge, so a spread of 13 administrations between his first and final term.

            Regards,
            --D.J. Jones
          • fieldmarshaldj
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18 9:57 PM
              As of today (March 18, 2011), former WA Governor Albert Rosellini became the oldest/longest-lived individual to have previously served as a Governor in the history of the United States, at 101 years and 56 days. He surpassed the old record held since 2000 by Jimmie Davis of LA who died at 101 years and 55 days. Congratulations to Gov. Rosellini on his feat of longevity !

              Regards,
              --D.J. Jones