Changing Rhode Island's Name

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2010
       One of the items I will be voting AGAINST on November 2ND, is the proposal to change the name of our state from "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" to simply to the "State of Rhode Island".
       What is not remembered or known is the geographical implication in the name. "Rhode Island" is actually Aquidneck Island, a large island in Narragansett Bay that includes the City of Newport and Towns of Middletown and Portsmouth. Providence Plantations  is pretty well explained as the non island component of our state.
       Newport and Providence interchangeably the capital of Rhode Island until well over 100 years ago. Also a number of other towns served as state capitals of Rhode Island, where the legislature met. I am a descendant of a number of early settlers of Rhode Island.
       This debate can be searched at The Providence Journal www.projo.com ,.
      FYI!
       Early Portsmouth settler William Alm(e)y is one of my ancestors and ancestor of Presidents Warren Harding, Richard Nixon, and Jimmy Carter. Nixon and Carter were sixth cousins. Early R.I. Governor Caleb Carr, from Jamestown was a Harding ancestor.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2010
        Hi again,
         Believe it or not Rhode Island has a number of Presidents who have Rhode Island ancestry besides the ones listed below: Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, I believe William Howard Taft, FDR, Ford, whose ancestor Hezekiah Collins was one of the Freemen to be a Founder of my hometown the Town of Hopkinton, and both Bush Presidents.
         FDR and both Bush Presidents along with Stephen A. Douglas, 1860 Democratic nominee for President, U.S. Chief Justice Meville Fuller, and democratic party activist and Ambassador to France Pamela (Digby) Harriman were all descendants of Anne Marbury Hutchison and R.I. Colonial Governor William Hutchinson.
         Gary Boyd Roberts associated with the New England Historic Genealogical Society www.newenglandancestors.org  and others are the best source for prominent people and their ancestors.