Rhode Island Report

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
      To Political Graveyard Discussion Group:
      Rhode Island Report-
      1. Upcoming Democratic primary to nominate a successor to the recently deceased Thomas Slater. His son Scott is in the primary. Maurice Green, is Republican candidate who is a police officer and from the minority community. There are independent candidates.
       2. Alice Bridget Gibney has been sworn in as Presiding Justice of the Rhode Island Superior Court. This is equivalent to Chief Justice. A lot of new judges in R.I. have been sworn in 2009,.
       3. Elizabeth "Betsy" Dennigan has resigned her Rhode Island State Representative seat to run for a federal U.S. House seat. This in itself is NOT the missing story by reporters Steve Peoples and Cindy Needham in today's Providence Journal www.projo.com ,. Dennigan who lives in U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy's district wants to run against fellow Democrat Jim Langevin for his house seat. She is taking up residence in Langevin's district.
       The law does NOT prohibit her from running for U.S. Representative in the U.S. House district she does not live in as long as it is in Rhode Island. While the money may be small for the elections primary and special to succeed her, her resignation is NOT technically required, and will cost money that could be avoided! If memory serves me correctly before being elected to U.S. House Patrick Kennedy lived and represented a Rhode Island State House District that straddled both Congressional Districts. He moved to another part of his local house district which was in the second congressional district to the first congressional district.
       Information on these news stories can be accessed at The Providence Journal www.projo.com ,.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 25, 2009
         First, Happy Thanksgiving!
         Secondly, hot political topics in Rhode Island are the R.I. Congressman Patrick Kennedy and his battle with the R.C. Bishop Tobin over abortion, the nomination of O. Rogeriee Thompson to be a federal judge, and the civil trial concerning actor James Woods over the handling of his brother Michael Woods in Kent Hospital in Warwick, where the brother died. Michael Woods was a former Democratic candidate for Mayor of Warwick. That fact (mayoral candidate), I note seems to be omitted from press coverage on the trial, which I realize may not be that relevant to that story. Also a former Jamestown Town Council member David Swain was recently convicted in Tortola in the British Virgin Islands for murdering his wife.
         I am a descendant of some of The Pilgrims. I belong to The Alden Kindred of America www.alden.org  President Coolidge and both Adams Presidents are descendants as well as VP Dan Quayle,. I have yet to join The Mayflower Society www.mayflower.org ,.
         In closing, check out The Providence Journal www.projo.com for the stories above.

      • Trini Quiroz
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 25, 2009
          Hi Scot, Trini Mestre-Quiroz wishes you a great Thanks Giving Day!

          #################

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 20, 2012
             Here's some things from Rhode Island Mayor Charles Moreau of Central Falls has resigned. In addition a candidate who lost four previous bids for state representatives defeated former State Senate Majority David Carlin for the Democratic nomination for State Representative. The winning candidate lost multiple bids before winning. Since the winner has no opponent in the general election he is assured of victory in November. Incumbent R.I. State Rep. William SanBento one by one vote that is also like these other two stories in today's The Providence Journal www.projo.com ,.
             You should also check Newport Daily News www.newportdailynews.com and The Pawtucket Times www.pawtuckettimes.com ,.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2014
               Rhode Island Report:
               Check out The Providence Journal http://www.providencejournal.com/  today for former State Senator Patrick McDonald sentenced and the death of former State Senator Richard Burdick Sheffield. Also Governor Chafee gave his combined State of The State and Budget address.  Do search for speech at www.rilin.state.ri.us/CapTV/Pages/default.asp .   Governor Chafee has multiple ancestors as Governors. Likely he is a distant kinsman of mine.

              Note: Please telephone if you need quick reply. Thanks.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2014
                Hi again try for Capitol TV www.rilin.state.ri.us/CapitolTelevision/Pages/default/.aspx . The Governors speech was last night, when you search. The Providence Journal http://www.providencejournal/ has interesting article in today's edition on our State House. I hope this works. Scott.

                Note: Please telephone if you need quick reply. Thanks.
                Alternate E-Mail: scottbillhirst@...

                Hi!

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 30, 2014
                  The Political Graveyard:
                  Rhode Island News:
                  1. Carol Mumford, Republican National Committeewoman recently died. I and many other people will miss her in my party. There is an already an active race to succeed her.
                  2. Alfred Cardente, who I met but did not know, a former R.I. State Representative recently died. I knew his late sister Anna and brother-in-law Ralph Macera, the latter couple's son William Macera was a Roman Catholic Priest who eventually became Mayor of Johnston, Rhode Island. I knew the son through my days as a student. His parents through the Grange.
                  3. R.I. Democratic Party Chair David Caprio just resigned. He is from an active Democrat family.
                   Check The Providence Journal Home or WPRI-TV wpri.com for details on, the latter on the Caprio resignation as well as The Providence Journal most certainly.
                   Note to "Bcc:" recipients, The Political Graveyard The Political Graveyard is a biographical database of political figures both living and deceased. I am listed myself. See Bill Family not all are Bills but are related to me in the family listing. This grouping needs updating.

                  Ashaway, RI 02804
                  (401) 377-4643
                  Note: I do not do Internet at home. please use phone number if it cannot wait. For politics, history, genealogy, and organizations use this e-mail for me:  My mail.me account: scottbillhirst@... .  All other e-mails use this Yahoo e-mail or my G-Mail : scottbillhirst@... .Thanks.