Re: [political-graveyard] Benjamin Cardozo, first Hispanic Justice, appointed by a Republican President

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2009
      Larry,
       Of course, a number of us if we went centuries back would likely be a descendant of various ancestral backgrounds.
       I know you are Jewish. Louis Brandeis was the first Jewish Justice. No Jew has been Chief Justice although I remember LBJ trying to promote Abe Fortas from Associate Justice to Chief Justice years back. Those plans fell through. The so-called "Jewish seat", if you will, on the Supreme Court, in turn was held by Felix Franfurter,Arthur J. Golberg, then Fortas then by a non Jew Harry Blackmun. Cardozo succeeded a non Jew Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.,. Louis D. Brandeis did not hold if you will the Jewish seat if you will succeeding non Jew Joseph Rucker Lamar  and succeeded by non Jew William O. Douglas.
       From Fortas resignation during Nixon's first term until the Clinton adminisrtation no Jew sat on the Supreme Court. Clinton appointed for his two United States Supreme Court appointments: two Jews Stephen Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, this is the first time more than one Jew has served on the United States Supreme Court.
       The question does come to mind when will a non Judge again be appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court such as a Governor or United States Senator or an Attorney-General?