Re: [political-graveyard] Lightning strike

  • regillilan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
      I guess that a backup for your data will be one of your next projects.  I
      would hate to think what would happen if the Political Graveyard were lost
      due to some accident.

      Ron Gillilan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        My data is very well backed up, and (given a few days) I could easily
        regenerate a
        new version of the web site. The web pages are only the output of the
        database, not
        the database itself.

        The one thing on the web server which I don't back up (but Paul does) is my
        incoming
        email backlog.

        What may be lacking here is not backup, but protection from or redirection
        of lightning.

        Larry

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          The server is back up, on a backup machine with a slower link and
          different IP addresses. So the web site is online, but (for
          complicated reasons) I don't yet have full access to my email.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
            An awful thing has happened: due to someone's error, email to
            polygon@... is currently bouncing away as "no such user".
            All email sent to me since the lightning strike, including everything
            sent during the downtime and everything since then, has bounced.
            ARGHHHH!!!!

            Email to my address will continue to bounce until this is fixed
            probably very late tonight.

            Again, use polygon@... and polygon@... to contact
            me until this is resolved.