Re: Lightning strike

  • gr.jones@home.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2001
      "Lawrence Kestenbaum" wrote:

      >Politicalgraveyard.com (including my regular email) has been down
      > since yesterday due to a lightning strike at Paul Haas's house
      which
      > knocked out a router.

      Thanks for letting us know, I was beginning to worry what was going
      on when I couldn't access the site in the past 2 days (since I often
      have to refer to the website a number of times a day).

      > It doesn't appear that any data was lost.

      Heavens. Let's hope not !

      > I haven't asked Paul yet how much it will cost to replace the
      > destroyed router -- or who will pay for it. Another hardware-aware
      > friend says the cost is probably about $500.

      Yikes. Well, please keep us all posted.

      Regards,
      Davy Jones
    • regillilan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        I guess that a backup for your data will be one of your next projects.  I
        would hate to think what would happen if the Political Graveyard were lost
        due to some accident.

        Ron Gillilan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          My data is very well backed up, and (given a few days) I could easily
          regenerate a
          new version of the web site. The web pages are only the output of the
          database, not
          the database itself.

          The one thing on the web server which I don't back up (but Paul does) is my
          incoming
          email backlog.

          What may be lacking here is not backup, but protection from or redirection
          of lightning.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
            The server is back up, on a backup machine with a slower link and
            different IP addresses. So the web site is online, but (for
            complicated reasons) I don't yet have full access to my email.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
              An awful thing has happened: due to someone's error, email to
              polygon@... is currently bouncing away as "no such user".
              All email sent to me since the lightning strike, including everything
              sent during the downtime and everything since then, has bounced.
              ARGHHHH!!!!

              Email to my address will continue to bounce until this is fixed
              probably very late tonight.

              Again, use polygon@... and polygon@... to contact
              me until this is resolved.