Rhode Island Elections

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
      For Rhode Island Election Information check out
      http://www.sec.state.ri.us/elections/election08.html
      , and http://www.elections.ri.gov/ ,. The first
      is affiliated with the Rhode Island Secretary of
      State with the latter the Rhode Island Board of
      Elections. That last one you can figure if I won
      or not. I need to be in the top five. There are
      three voting districts in Hopkinton so you will
      need town wide vote, as town council candidates
      run town wide. My own race for Hopkinton Town
      Council check out Hopkinton Town Council and
      recent news stories at
      http://www.thewesterlysun.com , and go to icon
      for Decision'2008,.
      I have spent time with GOP U.S. Senate nominee
      Robert G. Tingle attending with him three
      campaign events last week. Check out
      www.bobtingle.com ,. Interestingly, his opponent
      U.S. Sen. Jack Reed has NOT once appeared jointly
      with him this election cycle!

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
        On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Scott Bill Hirst
        <scottbillhirst@...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        > For Rhode Island Election Information check out
        > http://www.sec.state.ri.us/elections/election08.html
        > , and http://www.elections.ri.gov/ ,. The first
        > is affiliated with the Rhode Island Secretary of
        > State with the latter the Rhode Island Board of
        > Elections. That last one you can figure if I won
        > or not. I need to be in the top five. There are
        > three voting districts in Hopkinton so you will
        > need town wide vote, as town council candidates
        > run town wide. My own race for Hopkinton Town
        > Council check out Hopkinton Town Council and
        > recent news stories at
        > http://www.thewesterlysun.com , and go to icon
        > for Decision'2008,.
        > I have spent time with GOP U.S. Senate nominee
        > Robert G. Tingle attending with him three
        > campaign events last week. Check out
        > www.bobtingle.com ,. Interestingly, his opponent
        > U.S. Sen. Jack Reed has NOT once appeared jointly
        > with him this election cycle!
        > Regards,
        > Scott

        Scott, good luck on your race in Hopkinton.

        Me, I'm fortunate enough this year to be unopposed, both in the
        primary and the general election.

        As a friend said to me: "Larry, I hate to break this to you, but
        hardly anyone wants to be County Clerk."

        Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
        Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
        Weblog: Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
        P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
          For our latest Hopkinton, R.I., GOP flier/insert
          those who can be listed or are listed on The
          Political Graveyard include the following:
          Scott Bill Hirst,Hopkinton Town Council, .
          George M. Abbott, Hopkinton Town Council, former
          State Representative candidate.
          Marjorie Naylor "Midje" Rekowski, Director of
          Public Welfare, former State Senate and State
          Representative candidate.
          Nancy N. Richmond, State Representative
          candidate,38Th District.
          Francis T. "Frank" Maher, Jr., State Senate
          candidate, 34Th District.

          P.S. Thanks for your regards!

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2008
            I came up short last Tuesday but I am fine! I am still interested in politics and will stay involved. I am currently an officer of New London County Pomona Grange in Connecticut;Vice Chair of the Hopkinton Republicans, Secretary and member of the two Republican legislative district committees in my senatorial and representative districts, board member of the Crandall Family Association http://www.cfa.net , and one of three Fire Commissioners in Ashaway.
            For Rhode Island Election Information check out http://www.sec.state.ri.us/elections/election08.html , and http://www.elections.ri.gov/ ,. The first is affiliated with the Rhode Island Secretary of State with the latter the Rhode Island Board of Elections. There are three voting districts in Hopkinton, not counting one for those who can vote only for President and Vice President; so you will need town wide vote, as town council candidates run town wide. My own race for Hopkinton Town Council check out Hopkinton Town Council and recent news stories at http://www.thewesterlysun.com , and go to icon for Decision'2008,. Also check out The Chariho Times at http://www.charihotimes.com ,. Only top vote getters win in the at-large/town wide race.
            I spent time with GOP U.S. Senate nominee Robert G. Tingle attending with him three campaign events last week. Check out www.bobtingle.com ,. Interestingly, his opponent U.S. Sen. Jack Reed did NOT once appeared jointly with him this election cycle! I changed this around a little, so it may seem the same.
            Interesting fact: Rhode Island State Senate President Joseph Montalbano was defeated. The R.I. House likely has the smallest amount of Republicans since the party was formed in the 1850's. We will have four GOP State Senators. The last time that happened was 1975-76, when there was four republicans out of fifty senators. Now there will be four out of thirty-eight state senators. Interestingly, Allan Fung, of Chinese extraction was elected Mayor of Cranston. He lost a close race two years ago. Allan is a very bright spot for the GOP in Rhode Island this year.
          • Pat Flynn
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
              Dear Scott,
              In the presidentil elections if say you voted for Barrack Obama for president would you have to vote for Joe Biden for viice-president or could you vote for Sarah Palin for vice-president ?
              Also what happens if any of the electors becomes incapacitated due to illness or dies and is unable to cast his/her vote ?

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
                 I understand Electors are free to vote for anyone they choose but some states actually have enacted penalities for those who do not follow there state's popular vote. I don't know if that can be enforced. Vacancies can be filled by other Electors present who are absent or decline to serve as an Elector as that has been done in Rhode Island.

                In the presidentil elections if say you voted for Barrack Obama for president would you have to vote for Joe Biden for viice-president or could you vote for Sarah Palin for vice-president ?
                Also what happens if any of the electors becomes incapacitated due to illness or dies and is unable to cast his/her vote ?

                Get 30 Free Emoticons for your Windows Live Messenger
                http://www.livemess enger-emoticons. com/funfamily/ en-ie/

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
                    I do not have access to any source for this information, but I recall hearing about a Supreme Court decision sometime in the 30's or 40's when one elector wanted to vote for someone other than the candidate for whom he had pledged, the Supreme Court held that he could not. This may have been in the election of 1948.

                    Daniel Greenwald
                    252 Grant Ave
                    Highland Park NJ 08904

                  • arthurgranado@thegranadogroup.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
                      Some states do have penalities for those that do not cast for their party candidate.Most are just fines. I was an elector in 1996 for bob dole. I had to sign a pledge that I would cast my vote for Dole and Kemp. However I was not obligated and could cast a vote for myself if I wanted. I do know that as recently as 2000 the elector from DC , Barbara Simmons did not cast her vote Gore. There have been over 150 electors who have done this in our history.
                      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 15, 2008
                         I will stand by my observations. I don't know of any U.S. Supreme Court decision, in fact since that time MULTIPLE Presidential Electors have voted for candidates who did not run in the election.
                         I am sharing with others who may have an answer under "Bcc:" including Ken Rudin of National Public Radio.

                        Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@ yahoo.com> wrote: Hi!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 17, 2008
                          Thanks Mike! I went to the 2008 Republican National Convention and saw Vermin Supreme, I kid you all not, he was on the GOP Primary Ballot in New Hampshire in 2008, outside the convention hall.

                          From: daniel greenwald <dmgmd43@...>
                          To: political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Friday, November 14, 2008, 4:00 PM

                          I do not have access to any source for this information, but I recall hearing about a Supreme Court decision sometime in the 30's or 40's when one elector wanted to vote for someone other than the candidate for whom he had pledged, the Supreme Court held that he could not. This may have been in the election of 1948.

                          Daniel Greenwald
                          252 Grant Ave
                          Highland Park NJ 08904

                          Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@ yahoo.com> wrote: Hi!
                          ���I understand Electors are free to vote for anyone they choose but some states actually have enacted penalities for those who do not follow there state's popular���vote. I don't know if that can be enforced. Vacancies can be filled by other Electors present���who are absent or decline to serve as an Elector���as that has been done in Rhode Island .

                          Ashaway , RI 02804-1300 USA