Re: [political-graveyard] Chronic problems with accessing TPG website

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2008
      On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:53 AM, D.J. Jones <fieldmarshaldj@...> wrote:

      > As of late, I've been having terrible problems accessing the TPG
      > website pages (even before the recent update, but now it seems even
      > worse). Inexplicable time-outs, pages inaccessible, error
      > messages galore, and when I do get through, the pages take forever to
      > load. This is occurring at all times of the day and overnight (as I'm
      > writing this at 4am, the site is totally down). At first I thought it
      > might be something wrong with my internet, but almost every other
      > regular website loads swiftly on my cable connection. Anyone else
      > experiencing these problems ? Might the TPG webhost server be
      > overloaded ?

      I have been experiencing this, too. I believe it will be temporary.
      If not, I will take steps to obtain more bandwidth.

      I think the problem is that all the pages are new, and web spiders are
      going wild trying to collect all 135,000. In particular, Google does
      TWO separate spiderings, once for indexing, and once again for ad
      targeting. Every time somebody loads a page that Google's ad program
      hasn't seen yet (since the new version), it grabs a copy of that same
      page to determine which ads to place on it. That will cool down as
      more and more pages are viewed.

      But regardless, it is frustrating to have difficulty reading pages.
      It may be time to move to a better-connected server.

      Lawrence Kestenbaum, kestenbaum@...
      Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
      Weblog: Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
      P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
    • D.J. Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 5:19 AM
        I've been completely unable to access TPG (even the main
        page, "Cannot Display" error) since early yesterday morning (as of
        Thursday, 7:20a).

        --D.J.

        --- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Kestenbaum"

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 8:45 AM
          On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:19 AM, D.J. Jones <fieldmarshaldj@...> wrote:

          > I've been completely unable to access TPG (even the main
          > page, "Cannot Display" error) since early yesterday morning (as of
          > Thursday, 7:20a).

          Same here. I'm wondering if the storm last night affected it (we lost
          power for several hours, and falling tree branches knocked down our
          mailbox). Even if not, the server should be responding a lot quicker
          than it has the past week or two.

          I'll talk to Paul tonight.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 10:17 PM
            The site is MUCH more accessible now.