RE: [political-graveyard] Re: Ben 'Benny' D. Altamirano, Sr. (D-Dist. 28), 1930-2007

  • Joe Galu
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2008
      Political Gravediggers --
      The announcement that James T. Walsh of Syracuse will not run again leaves him in the position of going out as a winner afte a record 20 years of service.
      He had a close call in 2006 and lost Onondaga County, his home base.
      The congressman from the Onondaga County-based CD has frequently served a fairly long time:
      James M. Hanley-D 1964 until he retired in 1980.
      R. Walter Riehlman-R 1946 until his defeat by Hanley in 1964 or 18 years.
      Clarence E. Hancock-R 1927 until he retired in 1944 or 17 years.
      Walter W. Magee-R 1914 until he d. 05-25-27 and succeeded by Hancock
      Michael E. Driscoll-R 1898 until his defeat in 1912 by John R. Clancy-D who was defeated in 1914.
      James J. Belden-R 1887 until he retired in 1894 and again 1896-1898
      Frank Hiscock-R 1876 until el by Legis to USSenate 03-03-97 and suc. by Belden.
      All the above based on years when men (all men-sorry) were elected, they all took office the following year except those elected to fill vacancies. Belden sworn in right after his election in Nov. '87. Hancock el Nov 27 and was sworn in immediately.
      Joe Galu

      To: political-graveyard@yahoogroups.comFrom: joegalu@...: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:59:44 -0500Subject: RE: [political-graveyard] Re: Ben 'Benny' D. Altamirano, Sr. (D-Dist. 28), 1930-2007

      Folks,The official dates for the start and end of various wars appears to be unrelated to what most of us would call the beginning and the end of a war. I can get some of these dates next week, if people really want them.Joe GaluTo: political-graveyard@yahoogroups.comFrom: fieldmarshaldj@...: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 06:38:59 +0000Subject: [political-graveyard] Re: Ben 'Benny' D. Altamirano, Sr. (D-Dist. 28), 1930-2007--- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, "MGershon" <Moonnstars1900@...> wrote:>> Please forgive my skepticism, but am curious how a man born in 1930 > could be a WWII vet? Could the writer have meant Korean War > instead? Senator Altamirano would have been 11 years old at the time > of Pearl Harbor and only 15 when the Japanese surrendered. Or > could the date of birth have been earlier? I looked up some sources, and it seems somewhat odd. His biography on Yahoo says he served in the US Army from 1946-1948 (meaning if it was prior to the end of the year he was 15 ?!), so not a WW2 vet. Some other obits I checked don't mention any military service and that he went straight to college beginning in 1948 (at 17, since all said he was born in October 1930). I hope this isn't one of those rare and unfortunate examples of claiming military service when they did not serve. The age thing alone makes it quite fishy. Maybe another member here can get some definitive evidence of his service ? Is there an online military database ?Regards,--D.J. Jones __________________________________________________________Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix".http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx%5bNon-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Maeve Scaff

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
          Maeve,
          I'll be back at work Monday, an election inspector on Tuesday and very tired on Wednesday.
          But I asked Joanne, the Assembly analyst for Veterans Affairs, for the legal dates. She said should get them all on a page and get it to me. I will send to the Political Graveyard, since there are, no doubt, other people involved.

          Joe Galu

          To: political-graveyard@yahoogroups.comFrom: maevescaff@...: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:06:14 -0800Subject: RE: [political-graveyard] Re: Ben 'Benny' D. Altamirano, Sr. (D-Dist. 28), 1930-2007

          Dear Joe,I would like to know the exact official end of the World War II. It is too easy to libel a person's good name when facts are not checked. There are still Americans spouting off that Obama is a jihadist Moselm bent on destruction of the United State's way of lfe. I am not from district 28 but if I ever hear of the supposed discrepency I want to have an informed answer to it. Thankyou. Ms. Mavolina ScaffJoe Galu <joegalu@...> wrote:Folks,The official dates for the start and end of various wars appears to be unrelated to what most of us would call the beginning and the end of a war. I can get some of these dates next week, if people really want them.Joe GaluTo: political-graveyard@yahoogroups.comFrom: fieldmarshaldj@...: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 06:38:59 +0000Subject: [political-graveyard] Re: Ben 'Benny' D. Altamirano, Sr. (D-Dist. 28), 1930-2007--- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, "MGershon" <Moonnstars1900@...> wrote:>> Please forgive my skepticism, but am curious how a man born in 1930 > could be a WWII vet? Could the writer have meant Korean War > instead? Senator Altamirano would have been 11 years old at the time > of Pearl Harbor and only 15 when the Japanese surrendered. Or > could the date of birth have been earlier? I looked up some sources, and it seems somewhat odd. His biography on Yahoo says he served in the US Army from 1946-1948 (meaning if it was prior to the end of the year he was 15 ?!), so not a WW2 vet. Some other obits I checked don't mention any military service and that he went straight to college beginning in 1948 (at 17, since all said he was born in October 1930). I hope this isn't one of those rare and unfortunate examples of claiming military service when they did not serve. The age thing alone makes it quite fishy. Maybe another member here can get some definitive evidence ofhis service ? Is there an online military database ?Regards,--D.J. Jones __________________________________________________________Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix".http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx%5bNon-text portions of this message have been removed]---------------------------------Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]