Re: A Proposal for Congressional Representation for DC

  • D.J. Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2007
      Having 1 Senator would not fly with DC residents. I have a better
      idea that their federal representation should be adjoined to
      Maryland, that DC residents would be able to vote for MD's 2
      Senators and that the House member would be adjoined to MD's (which
      would require its deficient population to have to take in a
      substantial chunk of Prince Georges County, MD). As a semi-
      autonomous entity, they would not get to vote in MD legislative or
      statewide offices, having their own representation on the DC Council
      and Mayor (who could also use or change the title to Governor, which
      it was briefly after Reconstruction).

      A friend of mine has another idea in that DC proper would serve as
      the anchor for a new state, taking in PG & Montgomery Counties in
      MD, Arlington, Fairfax, the independent cities of Alexandria,
      Fairfax & Falls Church, the state would be called "New Columbia." It
      would have a population of about 3,735,000 (2006), more than
      adequate as a new state, with 5 congressmembers.

      Regards,
      --D.J. Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2007
        On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, D.J. Jones wrote:

        > Having 1 Senator would not fly with DC residents. I have a better
        > idea that their federal representation should be adjoined to
        > Maryland, that DC residents would be able to vote for MD's 2
        > Senators and that the House member would be adjoined to MD's (which
        > would require its deficient population to have to take in a
        > substantial chunk of Prince Georges County, MD). As a semi-
        > autonomous entity, they would not get to vote in MD legislative or
        > statewide offices, having their own representation on the DC Council
        > and Mayor (who could also use or change the title to Governor, which
        > it was briefly after Reconstruction).

        I'm in favor of that plan, which would mean that there would be two
        senators from "Maryland and the District of Columbia". For consistency
        (especially if they share Congressmen), MD and DC ought to be combined for
        Electoral College purposes, too, which means DC would lose its automatic 3
        electoral votes.

        It's a neat solution which requires minimal mucking about with geography
        and existing administrative arrangements, but a constitutional amendment
        would be required.

        > A friend of mine has another idea in that DC proper would serve as
        > the anchor for a new state, taking in PG & Montgomery Counties in
        > MD, Arlington, Fairfax, the independent cities of Alexandria,
        > Fairfax & Falls Church, the state would be called "New Columbia." It
        > would have a population of about 3,735,000 (2006), more than
        > adequate as a new state, with 5 congressmembers.

        I'm guessing the residents of those additional areas (not to mention the
        affected state governments) would not be enthusiastic about this idea.
        And we already have a state called N.C.

        Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
        Weblog: Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
        P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106