A Proposal for Congressional Representation for DC

  • David McNamara
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2007
      Hello,

      I read earlier about the efforts to grant the residents of the
      District of Columbia representation in the United States Congress. I
      believe that while the efforts of the bill were in the proper spirit,
      it was sadly contrary to the United States Constitution.

      Detractors claim that the District of Columbia was not intended to be
      treated as a state or equal to a state. They are indeed correct in
      this matter.

      However, the United States is the sole nation in the world not to
      accord parliamentary representation to its national capital and this
      is disgraceful.

      Therefore, the proper response is a Constitutional amendment that
      accords representation in the Congress while acknowledging its sui
      generis status vis-a-vis the states and federal government

      Ergo, my proposal is thus:

      1) The District of Columbia is to maintain its current 3 Electoral
      Votes as established by Amendment XXIII of the United States Constitution.

      2) The District of Columbia will elect one United States Senator for
      2-year terms.

      3) The District of Columbia will elect one member of the United States
      House of Representatives. The District of Columbia will elect one
      member of the House regardless of its population.

      I believe this compromise will be acceptable to the requisite 2/3rds
      of the House and Senate, respectively; as well as the the legislatures
      of the 38 states in order to secure ratification.

      By promoting a true democratic future to the residents of the District
      of Columbia while acknowledging its sui generis status, it won't be
      100% perfect. However, the action itself is a concrete and pragmatic
      step forward in both the civic life of the District of Columbia and
      the maturing of our nation.

      ==

      So, what do you think?
    • D.J. Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2007
        Having 1 Senator would not fly with DC residents. I have a better
        idea that their federal representation should be adjoined to
        Maryland, that DC residents would be able to vote for MD's 2
        Senators and that the House member would be adjoined to MD's (which
        would require its deficient population to have to take in a
        substantial chunk of Prince Georges County, MD). As a semi-
        autonomous entity, they would not get to vote in MD legislative or
        statewide offices, having their own representation on the DC Council
        and Mayor (who could also use or change the title to Governor, which
        it was briefly after Reconstruction).

        A friend of mine has another idea in that DC proper would serve as
        the anchor for a new state, taking in PG & Montgomery Counties in
        MD, Arlington, Fairfax, the independent cities of Alexandria,
        Fairfax & Falls Church, the state would be called "New Columbia." It
        would have a population of about 3,735,000 (2006), more than
        adequate as a new state, with 5 congressmembers.

        Regards,
        --D.J. Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2007
          On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, D.J. Jones wrote:

          > Having 1 Senator would not fly with DC residents. I have a better
          > idea that their federal representation should be adjoined to
          > Maryland, that DC residents would be able to vote for MD's 2
          > Senators and that the House member would be adjoined to MD's (which
          > would require its deficient population to have to take in a
          > substantial chunk of Prince Georges County, MD). As a semi-
          > autonomous entity, they would not get to vote in MD legislative or
          > statewide offices, having their own representation on the DC Council
          > and Mayor (who could also use or change the title to Governor, which
          > it was briefly after Reconstruction).

          I'm in favor of that plan, which would mean that there would be two
          senators from "Maryland and the District of Columbia". For consistency
          (especially if they share Congressmen), MD and DC ought to be combined for
          Electoral College purposes, too, which means DC would lose its automatic 3
          electoral votes.

          It's a neat solution which requires minimal mucking about with geography
          and existing administrative arrangements, but a constitutional amendment
          would be required.

          > A friend of mine has another idea in that DC proper would serve as
          > the anchor for a new state, taking in PG & Montgomery Counties in
          > MD, Arlington, Fairfax, the independent cities of Alexandria,
          > Fairfax & Falls Church, the state would be called "New Columbia." It
          > would have a population of about 3,735,000 (2006), more than
          > adequate as a new state, with 5 congressmembers.

          I'm guessing the residents of those additional areas (not to mention the
          affected state governments) would not be enthusiastic about this idea.
          And we already have a state called N.C.

          Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
          Weblog: Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
          P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106