Former Sen. Chafee Leaves GOP

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2007
      To Political Graveyard Discussion Group:
      I learned today Former Republican United States
      Rhode Island Senator Lincoln D.Chafee changed his
      affiliation to Unaffiliated as a voter in
      Providence where he is now registered ,the change
      I recall took place on July 10TH,.His wife
      maintains her Exeter voting address.The Senator
      is a former Exeter resident and Warwick Mayor and
      City Councilman.What is amazing is the media has
      NOT picked this up yet and it happened several
      weeks ago!
      Ironically former Cranston Mayor Steve Laffey
      still maintains his GOP interest and was at the
      South County Republican Breakfast were I learned
      this about the Senator morning.My town Hopkinton
      was host.Mayor Laffey is now out with a new book
      did not mention this switch.It was mentioned by
      someone else.
      Rhode Island does not have Independent Voter
      registration but you can register
      Unaffiliated.Under Rhode Island law any change in
      affiliation takes ninety days from filing the
      registration change.However an Unaffiliated Voter
      becomes identified with a political party
      immediately by voting in a party primary or
      filing as a candidate of that party.
      On a personal level,I like BOTH men.Mayor Laffey
      was VERY SUPPORTIVE of me on the national
      convention delegate fiasco orchestrated by former
      Rhode Island State GOP Chair Patricia Morgan with
      R.I.State Rep. Susan Story,R-Barrington,also
      involved in process by chairing the effort to
      recommend delegate candidates.He appeared on both
      delegate slates.Former Sen. Chafee was supportive
      of keeping Mrs.Morgan as Rhode Island GOP
      Chair.However to Sen.Chafee's credit he was the
      only prominent politician to call me when I was
      on the Hopkinton Town Council in regards to
      opposing "Big Box Store" development off an exit
      on Interstate#95 in my town.I would have felt
      better even if the state GOP Chair's pick was the
      Governor's he would have discussed the problems
      with Mrs.Morgan with the Governor.
      A positive light on the GOP scene is our new
      State GOP Chair in Rhode Island "Gio" Cicione is
      a "breath of fresh air" from his predecessor.
      We recently lost another Rhode Island Republican
      State Representative "Rick" Singleton who for now
      is "man without a party",.
      Unfortunately the imbalance between the Democrats
      and Republicans in Rhode Island that the GOP has
      not controlled the Rhode Island House of
      Representatives since 1939-41 and the Rhode
      Island State Senate from 1957-59,.