TPG in NYT

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006
      Today's New York Times, in an historical sidebar to the Mark Foley scandal
      titled Hitting a Self-Destruct Button, cites Political Graveyard's trouble
      and disgrace page, and quotes me on the history of sexual scandals among
      politicians.

      Here's the relevant excerpt, discussing "Washington's 'What On Earth Was
      He Thinking?' Caucus":

      > But the sex subcaucus is easily the biggest.
      >
      > "You always seem to have politicians doing bizarrely self-destructive
      > things, especially involving sex," says Lawrence Kestenbaum, creator of
      > "Political Graveyard," a history Web site that includes an exhaustive
      > cataloging of transgressions by politicians.
      >
      > Under the heading "Politicians Who Were Ever in Trouble or Disgrace,"
      > the section contains 420 entries, in chronological order, many of them
      > involving present and former members of Congress. Among the escapades:

      > * Barney Frank, Democrat of Massachusetts, was reprimanded when it
      > was revealed that a male lover had been running a prostitution business
      > out of his Capitol Hill apartment.
      >
      > * Donald (Buz) Lukens, Republican of Ohio, who was convicted of a
      > misdemeanor for having sex with a 16-year-old girl.
      >
      > * Dan Crane, Republican of Illinois, and Gerry Studds, Democrat of
      > Massachusetts, both of whom were censured by the House for having sexual
      > relations with teenage pages . Mr. Crane with a female in 1980, Mr.
      > Studds with a male in 1973.
      >
      > The "Politicians Who Were Ever in Trouble or Disgrace" section comes
      > with the devastatingly simple disclaimer "Very Incomplete!"
      >
      > Mr. Kestenbaum says improprieties in the political realm tend to
      > resonate more than in others. First, they tend to become public,
      > necessitating apologies and, in many cases, resignations. He points out
      > that if Mr. Foley were a purchasing manager at some store, he might
      > actually keep his job.
      >
      > "The political world tends to be very judgmental," Mr. Kestenbaum
      > says. This creates towering spectacles of dishonesty, famous last words
      > that are often caught on tape. Mr. Clinton created the gold standard for
      > this when he looked into a camera and indignantly declared, "I did not
      > have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

      Go read the whole piece at
      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/weekinreview/01leib.html

      The Political Graveyard has been online for ten years, has gotten at least
      100 million hits, has been featured in many news media, but this is the
      first time that the New York Times has ever mentioned the web site.

      Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
      Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
      P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
    • Joe Galu
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
        Lawrence,

        I have a long list of former Mayors of Albany NY who are buried in
        Albany Rural Cemetery, a site high on the list of people who visit historic
        cemeteries -- all of them Protestant. Only our current and previous mayors
        are Catholic although the city has been heavily Irish-Italian and German
        Catholic for many decades.
        I could fax this to you since it is not in my computer.
        Joe