Political Birthdays March 1st

  • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Today is Ash Wednesday, March 1, 2006. There are three political
      birthdays today (as well as two notes -- one a question for the group).
      They are as follows:

      Keith Harvey Miller (R-AK) is 81. (NOTE #1)
      Governor of Alaska 1969 to 1970
      AK Secretary of State 1966 to 1969
      AK House 1963 to 1964
      Succeeded to the office of Governor upon the resignation of Governor
      Walter Joseph Hickel, who had resigned to become U.S. Secretary of the
      Interior.

      Robert Heron Bork is 79.
      U.S. Appeals Court Judge 1982 to 1988
      U.S. Solicitor General 1973 to 1977
      Acting U.S. Attorney General 1973 to 1974
      Nominated for Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1987, but
      rejected by the U.S. Senate

      John Berlinger Breaux (D-LA) is 62. (*)
      U.S. Senate 1987 to 2005
      U.S. House 1972 to 1987
      First elected to U.S. House in a special election to fill the vacancy
      caused by the resignation of U.S. Rep. Edwin Washington Edwards, who
      resigned havnig been elected Governor of Louisiana.

      NOTE #1: TPG has Governor Keith Miller listed as AK Lieutenant
      Governor from 1966 to 1969. The National Governors Association web
      site has his service listed during that period as AK Secretary of
      State. Does anyone know which is correct? Alaska has a Lieutenant
      Governor presently. But did it always?

      NOTE #2: TPG has Barbara Ackerman, born 3/1/1925, correctly listed as
      Mayor of Cambridge, MA, from 1972 to 1977. It should also be noted
      that she was an unsuccessful Independent candidate for Governor of
      Massachusetts in 1978, the year Michael Dukakis was defeated for re-
      election as Governor.

      (*) indicates additional information not contained in TPG listing.
    • Alan Fox
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        Joseph B. Craven, Jr. wrote:

        >Today is Ash Wednesday, March 1, 2006. There are three political
        >birthdays today (as well as two notes -- one a question for the group).
        >They are as follows:
        >
        >Keith Harvey Miller (R-AK) is 81. (NOTE #1)
        >Governor of Alaska 1969 to 1970
        >AK Secretary of State 1966 to 1969
        >AK House 1963 to 1964
        >Succeeded to the office of Governor upon the resignation of Governor
        >Walter Joseph Hickel, who had resigned to become U.S. Secretary of the
        >Interior.
        >NOTE #1: TPG has Governor Keith Miller listed as AK Lieutenant
        >Governor from 1966 to 1969. The National Governors Association web
        >site has his service listed during that period as AK Secretary of
        >State. Does anyone know which is correct? Alaska has a Lieutenant
        >Governor presently. But did it always?

        The Michigan Manual used to contain a section listing state officials
        from all states. The 1967-68 Michigan Manual lists Miller as Alaska
        Secretary of State and has no entry for a Lieutenant Governor. The
        World Almanac has similar information in roughly the same format. The
        Lieutenant Governor today has many responsibilities that in other states
        are assigned to the Secretary of State, including the state's Bureau of
        Elections. In fact, it appears from some items on the web that the
        Lieutenant Governor is also the Secretary of State in Alaska (a recent
        World Almanac lists a Lieutenant Governor but not a Secretary of State).

        So... my conclusion is that the title of the office was changed from
        Secretary of State to Lieutenant Governor at some point (a scan of my
        incomplete collection of World Almanacs suggests around 1980) but that
        the responsibilities of the two offices have always been combined with
        the official next in line for Governor and that Miller was Secretary of
        State in the 1960s.

        -Alan Fox
      • D.J. Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
          "Joseph B. Craven, Jr." <joecraven@...> wrote:

          > NOTE #1: TPG has Governor Keith Miller listed as AK Lieutenant
          > Governor from 1966 to 1969. The National Governors Association
          web
          > site has his service listed during that period as AK Secretary of
          > State. Does anyone know which is correct? Alaska has a
          Lieutenant
          > Governor presently. But did it always?

          The office of Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of State are one in
          the same in Alaska. According to the Alaskan Archives, the name
          change of the office on the ballot was in 1970 when Democrat
          H.A. "Red" Boucher was elected (which would mean Miller was
          never "technically" elected as Lieutenant-Governor, but most
          resources credit him as Lieutenant-Governor). Officially, in 1966,
          when Miller ran for and won the office, it was termed Secretary of
          State. I don't know if there was "officially" a specific date that
          Miller assumed using the title, I only know the year the ballot was
          changed to reflect it. Hope that helps.

          Regards,
          --D.J. Jones