Political Birthdays September 1st

  • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      Today is Thursday, September 1, 2005. There are eleven political
      birthdays today. They are as follows:

      Joseph George Minish (D-NJ) is 89. (*)
      U.S. House 1963 to 1985
      Unsuccessful candidate for re-election to U.S. House 1984

      James Douglas Martin (R-AL) is 87. (*)
      U.S. House 1965 to 1967
      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1962, 1972, & 1978
      Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Alabama 1966

      Melvin Robert Laird, Jr. (R-WI) is 83.
      U.S. Secretary of Defense 1969 to 1973
      U.S. House 1953 to 1969
      WI State Senate 1946 to 1952

      Dorothy Ann Willis Richards (D-TX) is 74. (*)
      Governor of Texas 1991 to 1995
      TX State Treasurer 1983 to 1991
      Travis Co., TX, County Commissioner 1977 to 1983
      Unsuccessful candidate for re-election as Governor 1994

      Matthew John Rinaldo (R-NJ) is 74.
      U.S. House 1973 to 1993
      NJ State Senate 1967 to 1972
      Union Co., NJ, Board of Freeholders 1963 to 1964

      Robert Frank List (R-NV) is 69.
      Governor of Nevada 1979 to 1983
      Attorney General of Nevada 1971 to 1979
      Carson City, NV, District Attorney 1967 to 1971

      Philip Harold Hayes (D-IN) is 65. (*)
      Vanderburgh Co., IN, County Attorney 2001 to 2002
      U.S. House 1975 to 1977
      IN State Senate 1971 to 1974
      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1976

      Ander Crenshaw (R-FL) is 61.
      U.S. House 2001 to Present
      FL State Senate 1992 to 2001
      FL House 1986 to 1992

      Alexander N. Green (D-TX) is 58. (+)
      U.S. House 2005 to Present

      David Farnham Emery (R-ME) is 57. (*)
      U.S. House 1975 to 1983
      ME House 1970 to 1974
      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1982
      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. House 1990

      Michael Avery Ross (D-AR) is 44.
      U.S. House 2001 to Present
      AR State Senate 1991 to 2000

      (+) There is presently no listing in TPG for U.S. Rep. Al Green

      (*) indicates additional information for TPG listing.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        A whole lot of the data in The Political Graveyard has come from state
        legislative manuals, issued bienially or annually by many states. I have
        accumulated a large collection of these from all over the country.

        Some time back, I acquired a nearly complete collection of New York State
        Legislative Manuals, for almost every year from the 1840s to the 1960s.

        Of course, I already had a pretty extensive collection of these before the
        new set arrived, so as a result, I have a whole lot of duplicate volumes.

        These are smallish, thick hardbound books, full of detailed information
        about the state government that year, including lists of state and local
        officials, post offices, census statistics, financial data, election
        returns, etc. Most of the duplicates range in date from the 1890s to the
        1950s.

        They are NOT the same as the New York Red Book (a separate annual series
        of which I also have a large collection), which includes similar
        information but also has biographies and pictures of all state officials.

        I also have some surplus volumes for other states, but mostly from New
        York.

        I once thought I could sell duplicate volumes on Ebay, and indeed I did
        sell a few. But the process of adequately describing, photographing,
        accounting, packaging and mailing them does not justify the $10 or so per
        volume they would fetch. In particular, I am really terrible at wrapping
        packages.

        Now there are Ebay consignment shops which will handle all the fussing and
        packaging in return for a large share of the proceeds. I am tempted to
        take my surplus volumes there.

        But I wonder if there's a library or archives or something relatively
        nearby that I could just donate these books to, with any hope that they
        would be kept and not just dumped in a recycling bin, or glued together as
        props in a furniture store.

        I was thinking this because next month, I plan to visit the Allen County
        Public Library in Fort Wayne IN. This is a library with a famously huge
        genealogical collection, perhaps the best in the Midwest. They have
        material from all 50 states and many other countries. But I doubt they
        collect state legislative manuals. Seems unlikely.

        Any thoughts?

        Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
        Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
        P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
      • Joseph Craven
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Hi Larry--

          I'm a Library Trustee in Dedham, Mass. My suggestion would be to find a
          library which also serves as a congressional depository in your area. I
          know these are state legislative manuals, not congressional, but my
          experience has been that congressional depositories will also maintain these
          types of collections. If you don't have any luck, I'd be happy to take them
          off your hands as I know the Directors of the O'Neil Library at Boston
          College, the Boston Public Library, and the Finegold Library at the
          Massachusetts State House, and they are all congressional depositiories.

          Good Luck!

          Joe Craven

          > A whole lot of the data in The Political Graveyard has come from state
          > legislative manuals, issued bienially or annually by many states. I have
          > accumulated a large collection of these from all over the country.
          >
          > Some time back, I acquired a nearly complete collection of New York State
          > Legislative Manuals, for almost every year from the 1840s to the 1960s.
          >
          > Of course, I already had a pretty extensive collection of these before the
          > new set arrived, so as a result, I have a whole lot of duplicate volumes.
          >
          > These are smallish, thick hardbound books, full of detailed information
          > about the state government that year, including lists of state and local
          > officials, post offices, census statistics, financial data, election
          > returns, etc. Most of the duplicates range in date from the 1890s to the
          > 1950s.
          >
          > They are NOT the same as the New York Red Book (a separate annual series
          > of which I also have a large collection), which includes similar
          > information but also has biographies and pictures of all state officials.
          >
          > I also have some surplus volumes for other states, but mostly from New
          > York.
          >
          > I once thought I could sell duplicate volumes on Ebay, and indeed I did
          > sell a few. But the process of adequately describing, photographing,
          > accounting, packaging and mailing them does not justify the $10 or so per
          > volume they would fetch. In particular, I am really terrible at wrapping
          > packages.
          >
          > Now there are Ebay consignment shops which will handle all the fussing and
          > packaging in return for a large share of the proceeds. I am tempted to
          > take my surplus volumes there.
          >
          > But I wonder if there's a library or archives or something relatively
          > nearby that I could just donate these books to, with any hope that they
          > would be kept and not just dumped in a recycling bin, or glued together as
          > props in a furniture store.
          >
          > I was thinking this because next month, I plan to visit the Allen County
          > Public Library in Fort Wayne IN. This is a library with a famously huge
          > genealogical collection, perhaps the best in the Midwest. They have
          > material from all 50 states and many other countries. But I doubt they
          > collect state legislative manuals. Seems unlikely.
          >
          > Any thoughts?
          >
          > Larry
          >
          > ---
          > Lawrence Kestenbaum, polygon@...
          > Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
          > The Political Graveyard, http://politicalgraveyard.com
          > Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
          > P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Buckeye2011
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Perhaps if everyone would check with their local libraries both public and
            college you could find a home for them. I'll check with the Stark County and
            the Massillon libraries as both have extensive genealogy sections. Anyone in
            New York state that could check up there? Seems like the place of most
            logical interest.
            Stephen

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
              I have just now straightened out a whole lot of the geography of Los
              Angeles County. (It won't be on Political Graveyard until the next
              revision, of course.)

              In particular, a whole lot of places which I took for granted were
              standalone cities turn out to be neighborhoods or districts of the city of
              Los Angeles. Here's the revised list (all of these have politician
              residences, birthplaces, or deathplaces):

              Bel Air, Boyle Heights, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Encino, Granada
              Hills, Harbor City, Hollywood, Holmby Hills, Mission Hills, North
              Hollywood, Northridge, Pacific Palisades, Panorama City, Playa del
              Rey, San Pedro, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Sun Valley, Sunland,
              Valley Village, Van Nuys, Venice, Westwood, Wilmington, Winnetka,
              Woodland Hills.

              I also found that "Lamanda Park" is a community within the city of
              Pasadena.

              Each of these will be listed in the form of "Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles
              (Los Angeles County), California". They will also be listed under Los
              Angeles (as well as under each of their own names) in the Gazetteer.

              To see how this works, look at Boston's listing on this page:

              http://politicalgraveyard.com/geo/gazetteer/020.html

              These Wikipedia pages were especially helpful for decoding Los Angeles
              County's geography:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_districts_and_neighborhoods_of_Los_Angeles

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_County,_California

              Washtenaw County Clerk & Register of Deeds, http://ewashtenaw.org
              Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
              P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
            • Alan Fox
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 6, 2005
                Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:

                >In particular, a whole lot of places which I took for granted were
                >standalone cities turn out to be neighborhoods or districts of the city of
                >Los Angeles. Here's the revised list (all of these have politician
                >residences, birthplaces, or deathplaces):
                >
                > Bel Air, Boyle Heights, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Encino, Granada
                > Hills, Harbor City, Hollywood, Holmby Hills, Mission Hills, North
                > Hollywood, Northridge, Pacific Palisades, Panorama City, Playa del
                > Rey, San Pedro, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Sun Valley, Sunland,
                > Valley Village, Van Nuys, Venice, Westwood, Wilmington, Winnetka,
                > Woodland Hills.

                Larry - Didn't know you were working on this piece. I think some of
                these may have been separate municipalities before being absorbed into
                LA. Boyle Heights -- where my father grew up -- was never separate.

                -Alan
              • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Today is Friday, September 1, 2006. There are eleven political
                  birthdays today. They are as follows:

                  Joseph George Minish (D-NJ) is 90. (*)
                  U.S. House 1963 to 1985
                  Unsuccessful candidate for re-election to U.S. House 1984

                  James Douglas Martin (R-AL) is 88.
                  U.S. House 1965 to 1967
                  Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1962, 1972, & 1978
                  Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Alabama 1966

                  Melvin Robert Laird, Jr. (R-WI) is 84.
                  U.S. Secretary of Defense 1969 to 1973
                  U.S. House 1953 to 1969
                  WI State Senate 1946 to 1952
                  Recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom 1974

                  Dorothy Ann Willis Richards (D-TX) is 75. (*)
                  Governor of Texas 1991 to 1995
                  TX State Treasurer 1983 to 1991
                  Travis Co., TX, County Commissioner 1977 to 1983
                  Unsuccessful candidate for re-election as Governor 1994

                  Matthew John Rinaldo (R-NJ) is 75.
                  U.S. House 1973 to 1993
                  NJ State Senate 1967 to 1972
                  Union Co., NJ, Board of Freeholders 1963 to 1964

                  Robert Frank List (R-NV) is 70.
                  Governor of Nevada 1979 to 1983
                  Attorney General of Nevada 1971 to 1979
                  Carson City, NV, District Attorney 1967 to 1971

                  Philip Harold Hayes (D-IN) is 66. (*)
                  Vanderburgh Co., IN, County Attorney 2001 to 2002
                  U.S. House 1975 to 1977
                  IN State Senate 1971 to 1974
                  Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1976

                  Ander Crenshaw (R-FL) is 62. (*)
                  U.S. House 2001 to Present
                  FL State Senate 1992 to 2001
                  FL State Senate President 1992 to 1993
                  FL House 1986 to 1992
                  Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1980
                  Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Florida 1994

                  Alexander N. Green (D-TX) is 59. (+)
                  U.S. House 2005 to Present

                  David Farnham Emery (R-ME) is 58. (*)
                  U.S. House 1975 to 1983
                  ME House 1970 to 1974
                  Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1982
                  Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. House 1990
                  Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Maine 2006

                  Michael Avery Ross (D-AR) is 45.
                  U.S. House 2001 to Present
                  AR State Senate 1991 to 2000

                  (+) There is presently no listing in TPG for U.S. Rep. Al Green.

                  (*) indicates additional information not contained in TPG listing.
                • Trini Quiroz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
                    It's nice to share birthday with such notables.

                    I, Trinidad S. Mestre-Quiroz became 58, today!

                    Happy Birthday to all of us.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
                      Today is Saturday, September 1, 2007. There are ten political
                      birthdays today. They are as follows:

                      Joseph George Minish (D-NJ) is 91. (*)
                      U.S. House 1963 to 1985
                      Unsuccessful candidate for re-election to U.S. House 1984

                      James Douglas Martin (R-AL) is 89. (*)
                      U.S. House 1965 to 1967
                      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1962, 1972, & 1978
                      Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Alabama 1966

                      Melvin Robert Laird, Jr. (R-WI) is 85.
                      U.S. Secretary of Defense 1969 to 1973
                      U.S. House 1953 to 1969
                      WI State Senate 1946 to 1952
                      Recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom 1974

                      Matthew John Rinaldo (R-NJ) is 76.
                      U.S. House 1973 to 1993
                      NJ State Senate 1967 to 1972
                      Union Co., NJ, Board of Freeholders 1963 to 1964
                      Union, NJ, Township Zoning Board 1962 to 1963

                      Robert Frank List (R-NV) is 71.
                      Governor of Nevada 1979 to 1983
                      Attorney General of Nevada 1971 to 1979
                      Carson City, NV, District Attorney 1967 to 1971

                      Philip Howard Hayes (D-IN) is 67.
                      Vanderburgh Co., IN, County Attorney 2001 to 2002
                      U.S. House 1975 to 1977
                      IN State Senate 1971 to 1974
                      Vanderburgh Co., IN, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney 1967 to 1968
                      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1976

                      Ander Crenshaw (R-FL) is 63. (*)
                      U.S. House 2001 to Present
                      FL State Senate 1992 to 2001
                      FL State Senate President 1992 to 1993
                      FL House 1986 to 1992
                      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1980
                      Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Florida 1994

                      Alexander N. Green (D-TX) is 60. (+)
                      U.S. House 2005 to Present

                      David Farnham Emery (R-ME) is 59. (*)
                      U.S. House 1975 to 1983
                      ME House 1970 to 1974
                      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1982
                      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. House 1990
                      Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Maine 2006

                      Michael Avery Ross (D-AR) is 46.
                      U.S. House 2001 to Present
                      AR State Senate 1991 to 2000

                      NOTE: TPG has listed as "still alive" former Texas Governor Dorothy
                      Ann Willis Richards (D). According to the National Governor's
                      Association web site, Governor Richards died September 13, 2006 in
                      Austin, Texas. She is buried in the Texas State Cemetery, also
                      located in Austin.

                      (+) There is presently no listing in TPG for U.S. Rep. Green.

                      (*) indicates additional information not contained in TPG listing.