Re: [political-graveyard] Big incumbent loss blowouts (Re: Political Birthdays July 8th)

  • Kenneth Black
    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 11, 2005
      Ah, yes, the 1972. That was, surprisingly, an easy one for me to get. I too find it interesting to look back and see where Barone was dead on the money and where he totally missed some. A possible inclusion to that list of missed calls, in the 2004 edition, no mention is made of Melissa Bean, who held Rep. Phil Crane to 57% (one of his lowest) in the 2002 race. You'd think a 30 some odd year US Rep held to a 14 point win would merit the challenger some mention. Granted this might not matter to me now if Bean had not been successful in 2004, 52%-48%.

      I must say, I'm tickled that one of my very few posts has led to such a discussion.

      Ken

      "D.J. Jones" <fieldmarshaldj@...> wrote:
      Kenneth Black <governorblack@y...> wrote:
      > D.J.
      >
      > But, of course. A college professor introduced me to the book in
      > 1997. I started buying them as they came out starting with the
      > 1998 edition later that year. I've managed to obtain all but the
      > 1974 and 1976 editions at various book sales and auctions. I'd
      > love to get my hands on them, but haven't recently seen either for
      > much under $100 if at all.

      That's about the time I first started buying them (I heard Rush
      plugging them). I managed to acquire every single edition (including
      the "fabled" 1972 1st edition), save for the 2004 edition (which I
      haven't bought yet), through eBay. It's also interesting to note
      Barone's political evolution from the first to the most recent. He
      started out fairly liberal (fresh out of college) after putting
      together the first issue, and moved rightward throughout the years.
      Also seeing where he was "dead on the money" with his
      prognostications with some members, and not so much with others.

      Regards,
      --D.J. Jones

    • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 8, 2007
        Today is Sunday, July 8, 2007. There are five political birthdays
        today. They are as follows:

        John David Dingell, Jr. (D-MI) is 81. [Trivia below]
        U.S. House 1955 to Present
        Dean of the U.S. House 1995 to Present
        Wayne Co., MI, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney 1954 to 1955
        First elected to U.S. House in a special election to fill the
        vacancy caused by the death of his father, U.S. Rep. John David
        Dingell, Sr.

        Edward Daniel DiPrete (R-RI) is 73. (*)
        Governor of Rhode Island 1985 to 1991
        Mayor of Cranston, RI, 1979 to 1985
        Cranston, RI, City Council 1975 to 1979
        Cranston, RI, School Committee 1971 to 1975
        Pleaded guilty in 1998 to bribery, extortion, and raceteering for
        accepting $250,000 in exchange for state contracts, and sentenced to
        one year in prison.
        Unsuccessful candidate for re-election as Governor 1990

        Julia May Carson (D-IN) is 69.
        U.S. House 1997 to Present
        Indianapolis, IN, Township Trustee 1990 to 1996
        IN State Senate 1976 to 1990
        IN House 1972 to 1976

        Gerald L. Baliles (D-VA) is 67. (*)
        Governor of Virginia 1986 to 1990
        Attorney General of Virginia 1982 to 1986
        VA House 1976 to 1982

        William Philip Gramm (D/R-TX) is 65. (*)
        U.S. Senate 1985 to 2002
        U.S. House 1979 to 1985
        Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1976
        Unsuccessful candidate for Republican presidential nomination 1996

        TRIVIA: Rep. John Dingell, Jr. has served in the U.S. House longer
        than the combined tenure of 121 of his most junior colleagues.

        (*) indicates additional information not contained in TPG listing.