Test of complex relation handling

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      I have run a test page showing the new way of handling relative links
      between politicos which involve intermediaries.

      http://politicalgraveyard.com/testrel.html

      The page lists about 300 people for whom the new type of relation handling
      has been implemented. It includes a bunch of presidents, most of the
      Kennedys, Aaron Burr, De Witt Clinton, Everett Dirksen, Sam Houston,
      Francis Scott Key, Roger B. Taney, Gore Vidal, Huey Long, John Marshall,
      and many others less well known.

      An example of how the new system makes complicated links more
      straightforward can be seen in John Kerry's marital history and how it
      links him to Sen. Heinz, his wife's widow. Here's the awkward old version
      currently on TPG:

      Married the widow of Henry John Heinz III; married, May 23, 1970, to
      Julia Stimson Thorne (divorced 1988) and Teresa Heinz.

      And here's the new one:

      Married, May 23, 1970, to Julia Stimson Thorne (divorced 1988);
      married, May 26, 1995, to Teresa (Simoes-Ferreira) Heinz (widow of
      Henry John Heinz III).

      That second version is much clearer, but it took some fancy footwork in
      programming to make it work. It's also very easy to make mistakes coding
      these relationships.

      I'd appreciate it if you'd look over the people you're familiar with and
      let me know if I have their relatives listed correctly. Additionally, I
      would appreciate any comments and suggestions as to the overall concept.

      The links to individuals in this test page will not work (note the word
      "NULL" embedded in those URLs). Their political careers have been omitted
      to save space, but the page is still around 400k in size.

      That address again: http://politicalgraveyard.com/testrel.html

      Many thanks for any help.

      Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106