Re: [political-graveyard] Vice President Fairbanks of Indiana (1852-1918)

  • Joseph Craven
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2005
      Scott:

      The next time that you are at the Fairbanks family reunion in Dedham (when
      is it -- usually in July?), you need to go to the next house on East Street,
      and knock on the door. That's where I live. In fact, part of my property
      is actually on the Fairbanks House property, and we pay the Fairbanks House
      $1 per year to avoid adverse possession.
      Tis' a small world !!

      --Joe Craven

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        On Tue, 31 May 2005, Scott Bill Hirst wrote:

        > Like both Vice President Fairbanks,President William
        > Howard Taft,possibly BOTH Bush Presidents,and writer
        > Emily Dickinson, I am a descendant of the Fairbanks
        > Family of Dedham,Massachusetts.

        I took a look at the rather remarkable Fairbanks genealogy. I added quite
        a bit of information on the Fairbanks figures already listed, and added
        several more.

        However, because the Fairbanks family is so many generations deep, the
        relation standards I have established don't allow me to list it as one
        unified family in Political Graveyard.

        The basic standard for linking two blood relative is 1/1000 (actually
        1/1024) theoretical common ancestry. That means I include first cousins
        up to seven times removed, second cousins up to five times removed, third
        cousins up to three times removed, and fourth cousins up to once removed.

        Fifth and more distant cousinships are not linked (though some remain from
        before I came up with these rules). Probably most Americans are tenth or
        twelfth cousins of one or more presidents, but links that distant don't
        really mean very much.

        Vice-President Charles Warren Fairbanks (1852-1918) is the GGGGG-grandson
        of the original Jonathan Fairbanks of Dedham. So is Vermont Governor
        Horace Fairbanks (1820-1888).

        That makes them only sixth cousins to each other. I can't see placing a
        link between them while denying it to other fifth and sixth cousinships.
        But without a link, or some intermediate relative or chain of relatives
        would could connect them, they end up in separate family groupings.

        Below are some notes on the Fairbank/Fairbanks politicos I have in the
        database (not all of this is online yet), Additional information and
        corrections would be appreciated: please be precise and specific.

        [Note: 1C, 2C, 3C, 4C mean first, second, third, fourth cousin; 3C1R means
        third cousin once removed; etc.]

        -- FAIRBANK, Alexander Warren (b. 1852) of Chazy, NY. Physician; member,
        NY State Assembly 1914-15. 4C of Charles Warren Fairbanks; 3C1R of Merton
        William Fairbank.

        -- FAIRBANK, Janet (Mrs. Kellogg Fairbank) of Chicago, IL. Delegate to
        Democratic National Conventions in 1924 and 1932. Relation to other
        Fairbank/Fairbanks unknown.

        -- FAIRBANK, Merton William (b. 1847) of Mt. Morris, MI. Farmer; member,
        Michigan House of Reps, 1905-08. 1C1R of Charles Warren Fairbanks; 3C1R
        of Alexander Warren Fairbank.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Alfred Gerry (1822-1896) of Manchester, NH. Blacksmith,
        grocer, deputy sheriff, undertaker; member New Hampshire House of Reps
        1881-82; New Hampshire State Senate, 1893-94. 2C of George Henry
        Fairbanks; 4C of John Brooks Fairbanks; 4C1R of George Chandler Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Charles Warren (1852-1918) of Indianapolis, IN. Lawyer,
        U.S. Senator, Vice-President, etc. 1C1R of Merton William Fairbank;
        son-in-law of Philander B. Cole; 4C of Alexander Warren Fairbank;
        "relative" of Earl Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Douglas, of Cadillac, MI. Alternate delegate to Democratic
        National Convention, 1960. Relation to others unknown.

        -- FAIBANKS, Earl (b. 1860), of Luther, MI. Member, Michigan House of
        Reps, 1903-06; Michigan Senate 1907-10. "Relative" of Charles Warren
        Fairbanks, and supposedly an officer of the family association, but I
        don't find any details or documentation of that beyond the mention in his
        biographical sketch in the Michigan Manual.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Erastus (1792-1864), of St. Johnsbury, VT. Platform scale
        business; Vermont governor, etc. Father of Franklin Fairbanks and Horace
        Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Franklin (b. 1828), of St. Johnsbury, VT. Platform scale
        business. Speaker of the Vermont House of Reps. Son of Erastus
        Fairbanks; brother of Horace Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Frederick C. U.S. Consular Agent in Dieppe as of 1924-32.
        Relation to others unknown.

        -- FAIRBANKS, George A., of Newport, NH. Republican candidate for
        presidential elector in New Hampshire, 1916. Relation to others unknown.

        -- FAIRBANKS, George Chandler (b. 1852), of Natick, Mass. Newspaper
        editor and publisher; member Mass. House of Reps, 1909. Son of John
        Brooks Fairbanks; 4C1R to George Henry Fairbanks and Alfred Gerry
        Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, George Henry (b. 1830), of Newport, NH. Member, New
        Hampshire House of Reps 1877; New Hampshire State Senate, 1881-82. 2C of
        Alfred Gerry Fairbanks; 4C of John Brooks Fairbanks; 4C1R of George
        Chandler Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Harold G., of Newport, NH. Member, New Hampshire State
        Senate; New Hampshire Governor's Council; alternate delegate to Republican
        National Convention, 1944. Relation to others unknown.

        -- Fairbanks, Hiram Tolbert (b. 1827), of Petaluma, CA. Merchant;
        delegate to 1880 Republican National Convention. No relations coded, but
        5C of Alfred Gerry Fairbanks and George Henry Fairbanks.

        -- Fairbanks, Horace (1820-1888), of St. Johnsbury, VT. Platform scale
        business; Governor of Vermont. Son of Erastus Fairbanks; brother of
        Franklin Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, John Brooks (b. 1822), of Natick, MA. Member, Massachusetts
        House of Reps, 1874-75. Father of George Chandler Fairbanks; 4C of George
        Henry Fairbanks and Alfred Gerry Fairbanks.

        -- FAIRBANKS, John C., of Newport, NH. Alternate delegate to Republican
        National Convention, 1956. Relation to others unknown.

        -- FAIRBANKS, Richard (b. 1941), of Washington, DC. U.S. Ambassador at
        large, 1984-85. Relation to others unknown.

        Many thanks!

        Polygon, the Dancing Bear, http://potifos.com/polygon
        Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:

          > -- FAIBANKS, Earl (b. 1860), of Luther, MI. Member, Michigan House of
          > Reps, 1903-06; Michigan Senate 1907-10. "Relative" of Charles Warren
          > Fairbanks, and supposedly an officer of the family association, but I
          > don't find any details or documentation of that beyond the mention in his
          > biographical sketch in the Michigan Manual.

          I should hasten to add that his surname is FAIRBANKS, not FAIBANKS.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
            I sent in my dues today to the Fairbanks group.The
            reunion this year is on August 20th,.I am sharing this
            with Bill Fairbanks,association genealogist and the
            regular association e-mail,see"Cc:".Remember to visit
            the Fairbanks House<http://www.fairbankshouse.org>
            when in Dedham,Massachusetts,.Perhaps an insertion in
            our newsletter would get family members to submit
            biograhical material for The Political
            Graveyard<http://politicalgraveyard.com> and clearly
            state the family relationships.The Fairbanks House is
            the oldest timber frame house in North
            America,1636,and I believe I got the year
            correct.Mr.Craven who participates on this discussion
            group knows the site better than I!There is also a
            western Fairbanks group.

            --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > relations coded, but
            > 5C of Alfred Gerry Fairbanks and George Henry
            > Fairbanks.
            >
            > -- Fairbanks, Horace (1820-1888), of St. Johnsbury,
            > VT. Platform scale
            > business; Governor of Vermont. Son of Erastus
            > Fairbanks; brother of
            > Franklin Fairbanks.
            >
            > -- FAIRBANKS, John Brooks (b. 1822), of Natick, MA.
            > Member, Massachusetts
            > House of Reps, 1874-75. Father of George Chandler
            > Fairbanks; 4C of George
            > Henry Fairbanks and Alfred Gerry Fairbanks.
            >
            > -- FAIRBANKS, John C., of Newport, NH. Alternate
            > delegate to Republican
            > National Convention, 1956. Relation to others
            > unknown.
            >
            > -- FAIRBANKS, Richard (b. 1941), of Washington, DC.
            > U.S. Ambassador at
            > large, 1984-85. Relation to others unknown.

            === message truncated ===

            Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.Use <scottbillhirst@...>as alternate e-mail.