Mary V. Beck - first woman elected to Detroit City Council

  • Alan Fox
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      Today's Detroit Free Press notes the death of Mary V. Beck, born
      2/29/1908, died 1/30/2005, the first woman elected to the Detroit City
      Council.
      According to the article, Beck was elected in 1949 and served until
      1969 when she ran unsuccessfully for Mayor. She finished thrid in the
      primary behind eventual winner Roman Gribbs and Richard Austin, who the
      next year was elected to the first of six terms as Michigan's Secretary
      of State. Not mentioned in the article (but listed in TPG) is her run
      for Congress in 1950 when she finished third of 22 candidates in the
      Democratic primary in CD 16.
      Burial will be in St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery, South
      Bound Brook, NJ.

      For the Free Press story see:

      http://www.freep.com/news/locway/beck1e_20050201.htm

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Alan Fox wrote:

        > Today's Detroit Free Press notes the death of Mary V. Beck, born
        > 2/29/1908, died 1/30/2005, the first woman elected to the Detroit City
        > Council.
        > According to the article, Beck was elected in 1949 and served until
        > 1969 when she ran unsuccessfully for Mayor. She finished thrid in the
        > primary behind eventual winner Roman Gribbs and Richard Austin, who the
        > next year was elected to the first of six terms as Michigan's Secretary
        > of State. Not mentioned in the article (but listed in TPG) is her run
        > for Congress in 1950 when she finished third of 22 candidates in the
        > Democratic primary in CD 16.
        > Burial will be in St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery, South
        > Bound Brook, NJ.

        I had already coded her as Ukrainian, since she's listed in the book
        "Ukrainians in North America". Presumably given the cemetery, she was
        also Eastern Orthodox.

        The Ukrainian community in metro Detroit is large and tight-knit -- there
        are many community institutions, even a Ukrainian credit union. I expect
        there will be a huge crowd at the visitation tomorrow.

        Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106