Political Birthdays December 2nd

  • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      Today is Thursday, December 2, 2004. There were no political
      birthdays yesterday (a rarity), however there are six birthdays
      today. They are as follows:

      Alexander Meigs Haig, Jr. is 80.
      U.S. Secretary of State 1981 to 1982
      Supreme Allied Commander of NATO 1974 to 1979
      White House Chief of Staff 1973 to 1974
      Unsuccessful candidate for Republican presidential nomination 1988

      Harry Allison Johnston, II (D-FL) is 73.
      U.S. House 1989 to 1997
      FL State Senate 1974 to 1986
      FL State Senate President 1984 to 1986
      Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Florida 1986

      Edwin Meese, III is 73.
      U.S. Attorney General 1985 to 1988

      Harry M. Reid (D-NV) is 65.
      U.S. Senate 1987 to Present
      U.S. House 1983 to 1987
      Lieutenant Governor of Nevada 1970 to 1974
      NV State Assembly 1969 to 1970
      Henderson, NV, City Attorney 1964 to 1966
      Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1974
      Unsuccessful candidate for Mayor of Las Vegas, NV, 1975

      Charles Gwynne Douglas, III (R-NH) is 62.
      U.S. House 1989 to 1991
      NH Supreme Court Senior Justice 1983 to 1985
      NH Supreme Court Associate Justice 1977 to 1983
      NH Superior Court Associate Justice 1974 to 1976
      Unsuccessful candidate for re-election to U.S. House 1990

      A. Wayne Allard (R-CO) is 61.
      U.S. Senate 1997 to Present
      U.S. House 1991 to 1997
      CO State Senate 1982 to 1990
    • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
        Today is Friday, December 2, 2005. There were no political birthdays
        yesterday, however there are six today. They are as follows:

        Alexander Meigs Haig, Jr. (R-PA) is 81.
        U.S. Secretary of State 1981 to 1982
        Supreme Allied Commander of NATO 1974 to 1979
        White House Chief of Staff 1973 to 1974
        Unsuccessful candidate for Republican presidential nomination 1988

        Harry Allison Johnston, III (D-FL) is 74.
        U.S. House 1989 to 1997
        FL State Senate 1975 to 1986
        FL State Senate President 1985 to 1986
        Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Florida 1986

        Edwin Meese, III (R-CA) is 74.
        U.S. Attorney General 1985 to 1988
        Chief of Staff to the Governor of California 1969 to 1974

        Harry Mason Reid (D-NV) is 66.
        U.S. Senate 1987 to Present
        U.S. Senate Minority Leader 2005 to Present
        U.S. House 1983 to 1987
        Lieutenant Governor of Nevada 1970 to 1974
        NV State Assembly 1969 to 1970
        Henderson, NV, City Attorney 1964 to 1966
        Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1974
        Unsuccessful candidate for Mayor of Las Vegas, NV, 1975

        Charles Gwynne Douglas, III (R-NH) is 63.
        U.S. House 1989 to 1991
        NH Supreme Court Senior Justice 1983 to 1985
        NH Supreme Court Associate Justice 1977 to 1983
        NH Superior Court Judge 1974 to 1976
        Unsuccessful candidate for re-election to U.S. House 1990

        Alan Wayne Allard (R-CO) is 62.
        U.S. Senate 1997 to Present
        U.S. House 1991 to 1997
        CO State Senate 1983 to 1990

        [NOTE]: TPG has listed as "still alive" former U.S. Rep. Charles
        Edward Bennett (D-FL). According to the Congressional Directory's
        biographical database, Rep. Bennet died September 6, 2003 in
        Jacksonville, Florida.
        http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=B000371
      • Joseph B. Craven, Jr.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
          Today is Saturday, December 2, 2006. There are seven political
          birthdays today. They are as follows:

          Alexander Meigs Haig, Jr. (R-PA) is 82.
          U.S. Secretary of State 1981 to 1982
          Supreme Allied Commander of NATO 1974 to 1979
          White House Chief of Staff 1973 to 1974
          Unsuccessful candidate for Republican presidential nomination 1988

          Harry Allison Johnston, II (D-FL) is 75.
          U.S. House 1989 to 1997
          FL State Senate 1975 to 1986
          FL State Senate President 1985 to 1986
          Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Florida 1986

          Edwin Meese, III (R-CA) is 75.
          Attorney General of the United States 1985 to 1988
          Chief of Staff to the Governor of California 1969 to 1974

          Harry Mason Reid (D-NV) is 67. (*)
          U.S. Senate 1987 to Present
          U.S. Senate Minority Leader 2005 to Present
          U.S. Senate Majority Leader-designate 2007
          U.S. House 1983 to 1987
          Lieutenant Governor of Nevada 1970 to 1974
          NV State Assembly 1969 to 1970
          Henderson, NV, City Attorney 1964 to 1966
          Unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate 1974
          Unsuccessful candidate for Mayor of Las Vegas, NV, 1975

          Charles Gwynne Douglas, III (R-NH) is 64.
          U.S. House 1989 to 1991
          NH Supreme Court Senior Justice 1983 to 1985
          NH Supreme Court Associate Justice 1977 to 1983
          NH Superior Court Judge 1974 to 1976
          Unsuccessful candidate for re-election to U.S. House 1990

          Alan Wayne Allard (R-CO) is 63.
          U.S. Senate 1997 to Present
          U.S. House 1991 to 1997
          CO State Senate 1983 to 1990

          Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH) is 52. (+)
          U.S. House-elect 2007

          NOTE: TPG has listed as "still alive" former U.S. Rep. Charles
          Edward Bennett (D-FL). According to the Congressional Directory's
          biographical database, Rep. Bennett died September 6, 2003 in
          Jacksonville, Florida.
          http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=B000371

          (+) There is no listing in TPG for newly elected U.S. Rep. Carol
          Shea-Porter.

          (*) indicates additional information not contained in TPG listing.
        • Joseph R. Hanslip
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2006
            Hi Joe,

            Spent some time Saturday with State Rep. Margaret Craven, Democrat of Lewiston. I told her of you and your contributions to TPG. She asked if your mother's name was Catherine? Craven is, I believe, her married name. She was born and raised in Ireland before coming to the U.S. to be educated.

            Thanks for your birthday emails and other contributions to TPG.

            Take care.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
              Joe:

              Thanks for thinking of me. I've seen Rep. Margaret Craven's name
              before, and always thought of contacting her. Interestingly, my
              mother's name is Margaret Craven. Catherine Craven was my dad's
              aunt. She was a Boston City Councillor back in the 60s, and as the
              stories go, she was one heckuva lady (the lady part is assumed only
              because she had nine children). The saying goes that she had a
              mouth that could make a longshoreman blush -- but you always knew
              where she stood, and you could never ask for a more diligent
              advocate fighting for you. Grown men would run and hide. She was
              married to a former MA State Rep. John Craven. One of their
              children, John Jr., just retired as a Boston Juvenille Court Judge.

              I hail from the other branch of the Craven family. My uncle, James
              J. Craven, Jr., was a State Rep. for about 40 years from the Jamaica
              Plain section of the City of Boston. Interestingly, his daughter,
              Terry -- my first cousin -- is now a Judge in Boston Juvenille
              Court, so the Judge Craven thing at BJC continues.

              If you are friendly with Rep. Margaret Craven, I'm a collector of
              political buttons (have about 3000 or so in my collection) and would
              love to have one from Rep. Margaret Craven -- or actually, now that
              you have mentioned my name, perhaps that's the motivation I need to
              finally write to her myself.

              Anyway, thanks for thinking of me and mentioning me to her.

              Joe Craven

              --- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph R. Hanslip"